Chapter 34: Sidney

I'm not sure when, but at some point I seemed to have fallen asleep with Trent in my bed after the talk we had.

It was no surprise honestly. The day had drained me and dealing with emotions had drained me even more. Thinking back, I was surprised I made it as long as I did.

   I reached around me, attempting to find my phone. It lit up the room, and I immediately winced.

   3:30am

   I sighed and turned off the screen before just laying in bed for a second. Realizing that I had to do something about Trent being in my bed on a school night, I slowly rolled over and gentle shook him.

   "Trent," I weakly whispered, still half asleep.

   He half woke up and just looked at me. "What time is it?" he mumbled.

   "3:30."

   "We fell asleep?"

   "Mhm."

   We laid in silence for a few minutes.

   "What happened to you?" I kept my voice low.

   "What do you mean?"

   "How did you get hurt? The girl..."

   "Sidney," he paused, collecting his thoughts. "I have an older sister, and we're separated by 8 years. My parents kept trying, and I was a stroke of luck for them I guess. Anyway, my sister's best friend from college is Sidney. They're a few years apart, but they met in their sorority house or something. The summer between my sophomore and junior year, she stayed with us while my sister was doing a summer program abroad. She lived with her boyfriend, but they were having issues and had broken up. She had nowhere to go, so my mom let her stay until she sorted everything out.

   I was 17, and she was 22. We started off with friendly banter, but it turned into something more. I made a move on her, and we ended up having a thing over the summer. I fell for her, hard and fast. Her boyfriend, or ex-boyfriend, showed up at our house and proposed to her. She said yes without hesitation... She didn't even bother to break it off with me in person. She left me a note. Heartbreakingly enough, I still have it.

   What we had really meant nothing to her, but it meant everything to me. I think the hardest part was not being able to talk about it. Girlfriend's don't want to hear about exes. My family couldn't know about it. I had nobody to talk to. That's why it's so easy for me to be here for you, because I know what it's like.

   Anyway, after that summer I jumped into any relationship I could to try to get over her. That's why I'm trying to be so cautious with relationships this year. I want any relationship I have to be meaningful and with the right person. That's why having you be my fake girlfriend means so much to me."

   My half asleep brain was working overtime to process everything that I was just told. "I'm sorry that she didn't think you were enough. You're more than enough." I curled into his side, and he wrapped his arms around me.

   Everything about that moment was pure and wholesome. We were both vulnerable and full of nothing but love and trust. The bond we had before was good, but it was just strengthened to a new depth.

   "Hey, y/n?"

   "Yeah Trent?"

   "What about tomorrow?"

   "You can borrow my brother's clothes. We'll worry about everything else later."

   "Okay," he mumbled out and pulled me closer. "Goodnight."

   "Goodnight."