Chapter 32: Can I Talk To You?

I turned around slowly. Trent knew about Ariana, but he didn't have the slightest clue that I knew Justin. I didn't have the chance to explain what had happened between the two of us, but I mentally promised to bring it up on the ride home.

   "Hey... Mister Bieber." It felt weird leaving my mouth, but I wasn't going to disrespect him, especially not on school grounds.

   "Can I talk to you?" He eyed me and Trent, and I nodded nervously.

   I turned to my boyfriend, and he took the hint. "I'll pull the car around."

   I nodded again, completely unable to talk. Trent leaned down and took my bag from my shoulder before whispering in my ear to call for him if I needed anything.

   "So, you and Trent?" Justin started once Trent was out of earshot.

   I really wished he hadn't decided to dive in head first. I didn't want to blow our cover without coming to an agreement with Trent first, but we did start "dating" the day that Justin and I cut it off. He kind of had the right to know.

   "It's not what you think," I barely managed to get out. I sat on the steps, and Justin sat beside me. He was silent, encouraging me to continue at my own pace.

   I took a deep breath, thinking of the best way to get it out. "He and I, we are friends."

   I looked over and saw him give me a solid nod.

   "We aren't actually dating. He doesn't want to be the cocky bad guy for turning girls down when he isn't interested in a relationship. We're just friends, and I wanted you to know because it started the day you and I... the day you started teaching. I dont want you to think of me like that because of Trent."

   If you were to think of me like that, Miss Grande would be the reason, not Trent. Funny how the world works.

   I started again, "Sorry about the circumstances. I thought what we had was going really well."

   "It was. You're really nice and thoughtful. We can still keep in contact, seeing as you're friends with my sister and all. It just can't be romantic or personal, not how it was before."

   "Of course. I wouldn't want to risk your job, career, or reputation. I'm really glad I got the chance to know you like I did, and I wish nothing but the best for you."

  Justin smiled at me and let out a small chuckle. "There it is. That famous y/n charm. I really enjoyed what we had, but thank you for being so understanding and responsible about the situation, not that I expected anything less."

   I nodded as I saw Trent pull up. "It was nice while it lasted." I sighed and stood up. "I'll see you around I guess."

   I walked off before I heard Justin call out for me. "I hope Trent knows how lucky he is... even if it isn't real."

   I smiled and nodded my head in a silent 'thank you' before turning and heading towards the car.

   In a weird way, I was glad things worked out the way they did. The universe had a ridiculous way of playing with my feelings, but that ended in the smoothest way possible: a mutual, mature understanding of our situation.

   The only thing that bothered me was the situation itself. It was so easy to draw the line with Justin, even though I knew him before he became a teacher. He wasn't even my teacher, and it was still easy to come to the understanding that we needed to stop it.

   Why wasn't it that simple with Ariana?