Chapter 59: Watching TV

I was living a reality that didn't feel real. The thing between me and Ariana was going so well, even thinking about it mades my heart rate pick up and the blood rush to my head.

   I'm not sure how I got as lucky as I did.

   To be able to call her mine was something I thought would only happen in my dreams. It still didn't make sense to my head, but I was too high on the feeling to question it. We still had to be careful around each other: limiting how long we stayed after class or practice, not spending too much time together outside of that, driving to different cities to spread out our time together.

   Being with Ariana brought a lightness to my chest, the kind of feeling I only ever got after something big like winning state championships. It was addictive; she was addictive.

   It was like we were stuck in a bubble of heaven. Everything felt perfect.

   You know what they say about bubbles though. They always end up popping.

   It started Saturday. We had just won a game and went for celebratory pizza with the team. We were careful; we always were. She sat at opposite ends of the table. I would catch her looking at me, but I was across from her. Her looking in my direction only made sense, so it wasn't suspicious. I allowed myself to fake the engagement with my teammates while I admired her.

She hadn't lost the shine that had attracted me to her the first day. If anything, it had only grown.

My admiring stare was interrupted by her sudden movement as she gestured to her phone. I quickly checked mine to find that she had texted me to stop by her house after lunch was over, and I found myself counting down the minutes.

   It felt like ages past before everybody decided we were done for the day. I was quick to run home to shower and change. I wanted to be at her place as fast as possible.

I parked my car a couple of houses down and basically ran to her door, both out of excitement and to avoid being seen. I knocked at the door and watched through the little windows as she made her way down the small walk way in front of the door. She let me in and we made our way to her living room.

Things started out innocent enough, but she decided she was over only watching tv together. Her hand "accidentally" landed on my thigh and stayed there long enough for me to forget about it.

   She slowly started inching higher up, quickly becoming harder to ignore. I played it off, keeping my face expressionless and my eyes glued to the tv. I focused on steadying my breathing, but her hand had made its way to the edge of my shorts and began playing with the hem.

   "Ariana," I whispered and turned to face her, only to be met with our noses a mere inch apart.

   "Yes?" She whispered back.

   "What are you doing?" A finger slid under the fabric slightly, tracing burning shapes into my skin.

   "Nothing," she hummed with a teasing smile on her lips.

   "Are you bored of watching the show?" My heart was practically racing, and my breath became more shallow.

   "Are you?" Her tongue swiped across her teeth. "I could always find something more... interesting for us to do."

   Her finger stopped moving, and I let out a sigh of disappointment.

   "Not interested?" Her tone was teasing as she pulled away.

   I caught her wrist. "I am! I mean, I want to." I looked to the side in embarrassment at my eagerness.

   "Look at me." My chin was quickly in her hand as she turned my head to face her. "Look me in the eyes and say it like you mean it."