Chapter 7: Cat Got Your Tongue?

The past week or two had gone by rather quickly. It was now September, and the only thing on anyone's mind was the football game.

As I've said before, our town is really invested in supporting our high school's sports teams. Tonight was the homecoming game, and we were going up against our rivals, the Gusty Bulldogs.

I'm not one to trash talk, but the Gusty Bulldogs had nothing on us. The last time they beat us was 1979, so the "who's going to win" isn't really why people are showing up. Some swear that this is the year they are going to double us over and take us down, but that would require talent and skills, a couple of things the Bulldogs lacked. Don't get me wrong, not all of their players were bad, just all of our players were better.

Everyone was excited to see which players on each team could score the most points. Before games, the seniors took up votes of which player will score the most points. Whoever got it wrong had to contribute to throwing a party. The only people that got to come were the players on both teams and those who were personally invited as well as those who voted correctly. It's kind of a big deal, and I've heard some of the parties get really wild. I had been invited before but never actually gone to this one, knowing how big and crazy it could get.

This year I had been invited to the party by our quarterback. Trent had had a crush on me since the beginning of the year. He would find any excuse to talk to me every chance he got. He stooped down to mean girl's level, asking me for help in Math, even when it was evident he knew what to do more than I did.

I originally didn't want to accept his invitation. I didn't want to lead him on if I was into someone else.

However, that someone else had been ignoring me as of late. We hadn't talked much during soccer practice seeing as I still needed to train like the rest of the team, and she had made me switch seats with another student, putting me farther away from her desk.

She was avoiding me and basically acting like I didn't exist other than when it came time for her to be a teacher, so why not see where things with Trent could go? He was really sweet, funny, smart, and talented. Not to mention he looked better than a Ken doll.

Camila and Selena were going with me since they had been invited by other players. The party didn't start until the game had ended, so we agreed to go to the game together before going to Camila's house to get ready for the party.

It was 8:45pm and the game was almost over. Selena and Camila had both left to go get snacks but had been gone for at least 5 minutes. There was no way they could be in line still because the concessions had to close soon.

I got up and began to look around for them, doing my best not to get lost. I looked around the main level for them before easily giving up and going up to the 3rd level.

After looking around for a few minutes, I gave up again and pulled my phone out to text them. Once I put my phone back in my pocket, I saw them. Fhey were half way down the stairs already.

"Camila I don't want to run; wait for me!!" I called out but easily got ignored as everyone was cheering in the stands, and it only seemed to be getting louder.

I sighed and rolled my eyes as I made my way down the steps chasing after them. I stuck to the the right side and held on the rail to prevent tripping, falling, or pushing someone. I completely stopped paying attention to everyone and everything around me, doing my best to focus completely on Camila's long dark hair.

After making it down three flights of stairs, I accidentally walked directly into somebody. We both grunted as we fell on to the floor.

"I'm so sorry!" We said as we both scampered onto our feet.