Chapter 60: Are You Safe?

Things stayed uncomfortable after Justin left.

   I dressed myself fully and found Ariana in her kitchen. I looked at her, waiting for her to look up at me and say something.

   She never did.

   She busied herself, tidying up an already spotless kitchen, and I told her I was leaving.

   No response.

   I felt like trash, the way I used to feel at the beginning of our situation. It was the same thing every time: throw me out whenever a guy gets involved.

   I felt dirty and used.

   I headed home and checked my phone to see if she had said anything. While I had no texts from her, I had several from Justin. They were from around the time he left Ariana's.

Panic struck me.

"I think I just saw your car across town from where you live?"

"Are you safe?"

I was too worried to be thankful for his attentiveness. I should have figured he'd say something to me about it. Seeing my car outside of Ariana's house was definitely a red flag if he had suspected anything.

I shot him a quick text back.

"Was out for a run. Bigger neighborhoods are easier for getting in more miles."

I prayed that would be enough to throw him off.

I sat on my bed, praying that my lie was believable. Ariana's career, my reputation, and our relationship was all riding on this.

"Thought you were on the soccer team not cross country haha."

He sent another shortly after.

"Miss Grande lives in that neighborhood. Incase you're ever running there and something happens."

I finally let some air in my lungs. I might have just saved our asses. I thanked him and told him I was heading for bed before quickly texting Ariana.

"We need to talk about Justin."

———
y'all are about to start hating me lmao