Off to a bad start

Chapter 1-Off to a bad Start

As a small time girl in a big time city Sara Valentine was as miserable as any miserable person could get. Her parents had died several years ago in a car accident forcing her to move in with her half uncle in Gotham, Steve Barkley, a serious alcoholic. Third year into her high school career and the most exciting thing she's ever done was attend some frat party, which she stayed fifteen minutes for because she found the crowd uninviting to those not part of their social circles. She was thrown into the plain-jane category because she wasn't cool enough to hang out with the elites of high school, or smart enough to hang out with the total nerds. Her life was set on a routine; morning, school, home, homework, sleep. Nothing in the great city of Gotham could ever change her dull little life.

On her way to class she runs into Veronica Case, queen bee among the social elites. Sara's shoulder bumped hers and suddenly her social standing drops down to nothing but an insignificant worm.

"Hey! Watch where you're going!" Veronica pushes her down laughing bitterly along with her little followers. Sara had dropped her books and was now looking hatefully upon her offender. Others laughed or snickered mockingly. Veronica and her posse leaves turning away haughtily flipping their hair in the air like a silk banner. Certainly she did not compare. The crowd dispersed and Sara was left to pick up her books alone.

That afternoon Sara was getting back a little late due to after-school test corrections. The sun was low in the sky spilling into a yellow and red backdrop. The late bus had already left and the cab that carried her refused to go any further past Crime Alley after finding she didn't have sufficient funding. As she walked home, cutting through alley ways and back roads the sun began to sink into the purple and dark blue night where the moon took it's proper place in the sky. Shadows grew longer as street lights flickered to life. The eerie silence welcomed the many unsightly things of the night. Almost there, she told herself, just a couple more minutes. Sara turns the next corner.

Damn. 

"Well, looky here my sweety pea looks like we won't be so bored tonight after all."

"Aww, look at her, she's so adorable! Can we keep her, Pumpkin, can we?!"

"Well, for a while."

So close, she thought as she stared at the two shadowy figures unsure of whether to scream or run.

That night Sara Valentine never returned home. It took her uncle an entire day and a phone call from school to notice that she was missing before he decided to call the police. That same night  a certain rich billionaire spent his night jumping from rooftop to rooftop looking for a certain criminal that escaped from Arkham Asylum.