Chapt. 05

Neveah heads outside with Bella the next morning where Charlie is talking to a man in a wheelchair. Everything about the man screams for Neveah to trust him and not to be scared, so she's not. She's relaxed.

"Bella, you remember Billy Black," Charlie says to his daughter.

"Glad you're finally here," Billy says to the brunette. "Charlie hasn't shut up about it since you told him you were coming."

"Keep exaggerating, I'll wheel you down the hill," Charlie teases.

"Right after I ram you in the ankles." Billy wheels after Charlie toward the road.

"I'm Jacob," the younger guy greets. "We made mud pies when we were little kids."

"Yeah... I think I remember," Bella claims.

"Hey, I'm Jake," he greets the blonde.

"I'm Neveah," the blonde smiles at time.

"Are they always like this?" Bella asks Jacob, referring to their dads.

"It's getting worse with old age."

"Hello, dear," Billy greets Neveah as Charlie talks to Bella about the truck. "I'm Billy. I'm a good friend of Charlie's."

"I'm Neveah," the blue eyed girl greets. "It's nice to meet you."

"How do you feel about ole' Charlie?" Billy asks in a soft tone.

Neveah looms at Charlie, who's already looking their way. He looks so awkward, unsure what to do or how to act.

"I like him," Neveah admits as she turns back to Billy. "He makes me feel safe."

"You should come down to the Rez," Billy offers.

"A reservation?" Neveah's eyes light up. "Oh cool, what tribe?"

"Quiluete," Billy replies.

"Are their bonfires and stuff?" Neveah asks.

"Charlie, I like her," Billy calls and he smiles warmly at Neveah. "Yes. There are bonfires where I tell stories of the tribe."

"Cool," Neveah says.

"Neveah, we have school," Bella claims.

"I'll try and come to the Rez with Charlie when he goes," Neveah says before hurrying to the truck Charlie bought from Billy.
*[________________]*

Neveah is walking with Bella to their first class, they lucked up and managed to share every class but their second period together. Neveah has second period World History and Bella has government. Both classes are in building 6 but are away from each other.

"You're Isabella Swan and Neveah Blake," a boy says and Neveah tenses as he steps in between them. "Hi. I'm Eric. The eyes and ears of this place. Anything you need; tour guide, lunch date, shoulder to cry on."

Bella glances at him. "I'm more of the 'suffer in silence' type."

"Good headline for the feature," Eric claims. "I'm on the paper and you're news, baby. Front page."

"I- - no, I'm not news," Bella stammers. "- - I'm, seriously, not at all."

"Whoa, chillax," Eric mumbles, "no feature."

Neveah soon relaxes, he doesn't seem too bad. "Would you mind just pointing us to mr. Varner's class?"

Eric beams are the girls and he leads the way.
******

When the first period bell rings signaling the end of class, Neveah gathers her stuff and follows Bella to building 6. She finds her world history class and gives Mrs. Sheldon the slip.