── FIRST KISS

Wednesday, December 22, 1965

☆ミ ROSE

≻─────⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

≻─────⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

       "ARE YOU SERIOUSLY considering pouring water on girls Steve?" I opened my eyes to see Johnny and Steve staring directly at me. I jumped as I got frightened by their staring which caused Steve to begin to laugh hysterically.

"You're awake." Darry grinned as he walked into the living room. I smiled and stretched not once did the other boys quit looking at me. They were certainly the same boys I had known ever since I was young.

"Yep, definitely a looker." Steve whispered to Johnny which I heard quite clearly as I walked past him to the bathroom. I walked in to see Soda completely shirtless coming out of the bathroom which naturally made me turn around and my cheeks promptly turned red from embarrassment.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to walk in I just needed to use the bathroom." I explained as I still faced away from him. I heard him crack up a little which earned me to snicker as well.

"It's fine Rose." He rushed out of the room and I quickly walked into the bathroom shutting the door. I stroked the sensitive bruises on my face. I despised the way I looked with bruises I felt like some desperate and vulnerable girl something I hated revealing. I rinsed my face off with water before walking back out to smell the scent of eggs and bacon my absolute favorite when I use to come over throughout those summer mornings.

"You're awake." Hazel hugged me and pulled away and she gazed at Johnny who was helping Darry in the kitchen. I could tell she had a huge and obvious fixation for Johnny. She always had and he always did like her too. It was adorable they had been towards each other. It was a sort of connection I had desired, I wanted a connection that was genuine and personal but I hadn't found that yet and I don't think I ever will.

"Despite the hard events that happened last night and other nights we still care a lot' about you and Hazel and we want you, girls, to be safe. We still have a lot to figure out but we have missed you two so would you girls like to join us for breakfast as a start?" Darry announced. I was stunned I had been so awful to all of them by switching into a fully different girl. I did not deserve this from them at all it showed that they too had been thinking about us.

"Of course Darry. I'm so sorry about everything. It's simply so complicated sometimes. I know it's gonna take a lot more than apologies and statements but I promise I will make this all up to you all." They all nodded their heads in agreement and Hazel and I scrambled to the kitchen prompting the gang to start smiling and laughing. I helped set the table when I heard the sound of the front door slamming shut. I looked to see Dally running in entirely covered in sweat and was out of breath.

"The hell happened to you?" Darry asked plainly irritated. The others seemed to snicker seeing Dally so tired out. Dally grabbed on to his knees and pointed out one finger meaning one moment and continued to gain his breath once more.

"The fuzz was out chasing me. I lifted from that gas station close to here and snatched a few candy bars." He hurled the candy bars to Steve and Two-Bit who accepted them with no question at all. Dal was known for his foolish antics especially lifting. This was inevitably not a surprise anymore.

"Dally you really need to grow up. You're just about an adult quickly enough if you're caught lifting it's jail time you're not gonna be viewed as some JD you're gonna be seen as a prisoner." Dal didn't seem to care to listen to Darry's lecture and walked in the kitchen sitting in the chair opposite from me.

"Man I just turned the young age of 17 last month no need to worry now. Anyways I really don't give a damn. Lifting for kicks is worth it all. Police never gonna catch me anyways." Darry sighed as he served us all a plate worth of food. It was unbelievable and looked very delicious. It was the first breakfast in a while I actually have wanted to eat. The rest of the gang sat at the table and we all ate laughing to Steve or Two-Bit who was always joking about something. I had seen a few glances from Soda come my way but I didn't think too much of it. He hasn't seen me in a long time he must just be getting used to seeing me again once more. That had to be the explanation.

"You all remember the time Soda and Rose were about to kiss but Darry walked in on them when they were young." Steve laughed as Soda and I's faces flushed from the humiliation. Steve was constantly so blunt and I knew he had said this to get some sort of reaction which I did not want to give at all. The room went silent only to hear the sound of clanking silverware and chewing of food. I peeked at Dal who kept looking right over at Soda. He appeared mad and I knew Dal being mad was something everybody tried to abstain including myself. I went looked away and continued to focus on the wonderful meal Darry had cooked.

"I bet you all don't know that I was Rose's first kiss." I froze as I dropped my fork on the plate hearing Dal admit that to everyone. Everyone then turned to me Soda seemed shocked as I had lied to him that it was him. Dal was, in fact, telling the truth he was my first kiss back when I was just a young girl at the age of 11 just right before I moved away. 

"You're woofin'. Soda was her first kiss everyone knows that around here." Steve laughed as Dal turned to glimpsed at me right across the table.

"You gonna tell them? Oh goodness, gracious princess, I didn't know we were keeping that some type of secret." he laughed as he was very sarcastic telling all of this. I got up from the table and washed my plate ignoring him. I couldn't believe he would state that especially in front of Soda his own friend. Soda walked out of the kitchen and soon everyone had except for Darry.

"Sorry for that Darry. The breakfast was great Hazel and I really appreciate it and also thank you so much for helping me from Randy and allowing us to stay the night." I said as I finished washing the plates.

"No problem at all. Soda and Dal will be alright no matter who you kissed first." we both laughed and stood there in the stillness only to hear the background noise of cartoons coming from the living room.  

"Hazel and I should head off now. Our father might be almost awake by now." I was worried about how my dad would respond to seeing us come home later than we had let him know but I was hoping that he was still asleep and that we were able to fool him and say we made it home just on time. 

"Before you two girls. I just want to let you know that our home is always welcomed. Besides, we still have a lot to figure out but we surely can get through. We need you, girls, around here again." I beamed as I heard Darry say all of the joyful and unexpected words.  I hugged him tightly as he then hugged me back. There was no real way to fully thank him. I knew I would try hard to gain back their trust once again no matter what. I pulled away and saw Dal lighting up a cigarette on the porch glaring at me. After what Dal said during breakfast I knew I had to clear through a lot with Soda. I had lied to him and I wanted to be friends with him again. With Dal, I wasn't too certain he had been a real pain lately and couldn't care less if other people's feelings which were again no wonder coming from him.

"Thank you! We will try and come around when we once have the opportunity to do so." we waved goodbye before walking the streets on the East Side of Tulsa which was incredibly nostalgic. We hurried home making an effort not to make ourselves seem like a threat walking around the East Side dressed as socs'. We made it inside to see our father still sleeping which had been the cherry to our day. I was happy for once I was pleased with how today had turned out.