Part 5: Brothers

Day two on the hunt for Barrett the bastard Red Kota.

Regretfully his trail had gone cold. Mika and Blue had been on a wild goose chase. The Hunter had left pieces of his clothing and random items covered in his scent all over town and the woods surrounding the area. Even a Tracker as skilled as Blue couldn't find him. He wasn't even sure if Barrett was still in Honeybee.

The two walked through the woods both frustrated. Blue was confident he would find Barrett eventually, but today the search was pointless. The wind was too high and they needed to wait for the scent traps to fade. Barrett has successfully covered his tracks and they were back at square one.

"Mika."

"Yeah?" He said sipping from a flask filled with alcohol.

"Why are you drinking? It's not even 5:00."

He shrugged, "Better than being sober I guess

He shrugged, "Better than being sober I guess. Nothing better than a depressant to cure the blues. No pun intended." His chuckled turned dark,  he stared at trees, his face emotionless. "I'm the last of the Raven Clan. Wouldn't it be so easy to kill me now. End it all now and please your Alpha."

"Despite what many may believe I don't want the Raven's to disappear

"Despite what many may believe I don't want the Raven's to disappear. Charlie spoke of a grand union of Clans and Tribes. He realized he cannot Unite the people under the helm of destruction."

"Fuck Charlie. He killed my people!"

"Your people killed ours, they were hunting children. He was Just in his actions. Despite how harsh his methods may be. I know he wants peace. That's all we ever wanted. The Raven's chose to hunt us."

Mika trekked through the dense forest wishing Blue would stop talking, the past no longer mattered. The Raven's were gone. "Why are you telling me this?"

"Because I don't want you looking over your shoulder waiting for me to put a knife in your back. I am loyal to my Alpha. But I am loyal to you, I owe you a debt and I will protect you as I would my own brother."

He threw his flask down to the ground sick and tired of the games. "Why? Fucking why? Charlie trying to plant a spy are something? Be honest with me!"