Things are looking up but I'm making myself drown

Carly's POV

Michael and I arrive at the restaurant and see Ashton wave us over. We walk closer to the table and that's when I see the two people I was dreading to see, Rose and Calum. I take in a deep breath and sit down next to Michael with Luke on the other side of me.

"We are going to have a bit of fun tonight." Ashton says with a smirk. We all look at him confused and that's when we see a waiter walk over with a tray of drinks that are clearly alcoholic. I see everyone's faces light up with joy. We all take a shot of whatever that was and our night pretty much begins there.

We all have a few drinks, but I end up going a little overboard so Michael decides to cut me off, even though he's not even the one who decided on drinking in the first place.

After everyone eats, it's time to leave. I take the keys from Michael and stumble to the car. I open the driver's side, but feel someone pulling me away from the car. I quickly turn around to see Michael with a grin on his face.

"There's no way in hell I'm letting you drive like this." He says as he takes the keys from my hands. I go to speak, but I'm cut off by him picking me up and tossing me over his shoulder. He carefully sets me down in the seat, shuts the door, and walks over to his side of the car. Once he gets in, I look at him.

"I could've drove." I slur out.

"Keep telling yourself that love."

<The Next Day>

I wake up with a pounding headache. It feels like someone is trying to rip my brain out out my head through my eye sockets. I carefully sit up and that's when I'm nudged back down by Michael. "You had a long night last night." He says while standing up. I smile and roll over to face him.

"Can you get me some water?" I ask, my voice raspy and lower than it's supposed to be

"Your morning voice is just as beautiful as you are." He says with a smirk.

"Oh shut up and go get me some water and maybe an aspirin or tw- wait make that three."

"One water and two aspirins coming up." I roll my eyes and he walks out of my room. I sit up and grab my phone that's laying on the nightstand. I'm assuming that Michael put it there last night after we came home.

I attempt to turn on my phone with no success because it's dead. I'm not sure when it died, but I guess it's whatever. I find my charger and plug it in just in time in time for Michael to come back.

He hands me the water and the two aspirins and I sit up fully so I can take then more easily. I pop the two pills in my mouth and take a drink of water, swallowing both of them in one go.

I take a few more sips of the water before placing it down on the nightstand next to my phone which I grab to see how charged it is. I see that it's charged enough for me to at least turn it on, so I do.

When it finally comes on, it starts blowing up with messages from Calum. I'm a little confused, but before I can open one, Michael stops me. "I wouldn't read those if I were you. He got pretty hammered as well and they're probably all drunk texts."

"It still doesn't hurt to read them, they might be funny." 

"They aren't." I look at him confused. 

"Did you go through my messages?"

"No. Your phone wouldn't stop blowing up, so I went to turn it off, and I saw a few of the messages."

"Well I still have a right to see them and even if you don't want me to, I still will." 

"Fine Carly, but don't blame me when you get hurt." I roll my eyes and open up the messages. 

(A/N: Spelling errors intended)

Calum: [I know that you don't give a shit adiut me but my lofe is goingg to bre so much bettter withput yop]
Calum: [Yoi cheated on mw & I still forgave you only for ypu to leave mr for him]
Calum: [I tought that ypu & I werw going somwhere. I was going to ask you to matry me at dinner tonight.]
Calum: [I threw the ring off fthe nearest cliff when you brpke uo with me. Ill never forgive you & I want you to knpw hpw much I hate you.]
Calum: [Yoi used me as a rebound and I fell for it. You made me believe that you realllly loved me but you never did]
Calum: [Fick ypu you stuoipd bitch!]

I turn my phone off and look up at Michael. "Do you regret looking at them?" He asks. I feel my eyes swell up with tears and I slowly nod my head. He pulls me into a tight hug and starts rocking me. We pull away and he wipes my tears with the pad of his thumb. "He was drunk and he most likely didn't mean any of it."

"I'm not sure if you're right about this. I really hurt him, more than once, and now I'm back with you and he has to sit there and watch me be with someone who isn't him and I know what that feels like. I had to watch you fall in love with someone who wasn't me and it completely wrecked me. I know what he's going through Mike and I know that he's not okay and he did mean what he said. If I was drunk while you and Rose were still together, I would've done the same thing he did." 

"I guess I really don't know what I put you through."

"You really don't. I went through hell and I never thought I was going to get you back. I didn't tell anyone how it really made me feel, but it felt like someone was holding my head in water and I couldn't fight to get air. Everyday that passed, it felt like it was getting harder and harder to breathe and I never wanna feel like that again let alone watch someone fall apart like I did." 

"I'm here and I'm not going anywhere."

"You can't promise that. We got into a car crash Mike, that's something you can't prepare for."

"But you also can't live your life preparing for every little thing that could happen. I know that you're scared, but that's no way to live."

"But how do I push down the fear?"

"You just have to do it. If driving freaks you out, just drive. It's not worth living your life like that."  I look down at my hands, but he tilts my chin up. "I know you can do it Car. You're so strong that you can do anything." I lightly laugh and pull him into another hug. No matter what, there's always a way for him to cheer me up.