I might need to give it up

Carly's POV

I've been with Michael for almost two years. Him and I met in our freshman history class and began dating our sophomore year. Now we're on our way to becoming seniors, which is terrifying, yet oddly satisfying. Michael has yet to get his driver's license, but I'm okay with driving him where he needs to go. As I drive him to Luke's house so they can practice, my eyes are seemingly glued to the road while Michael is blasting All Time Low.

"Come on Carly, you've gotta lighten up."

"I'm trying to drive Mike." I say with a smile.

"Come on, just sing one song."

"I barely even know All Time Low. I only know like one song."

"And I know what song it is" I glance over to see that he's scrolling quickly through his playlist. I then hear the opening to Dear Maria Count me in I give him a goofy grin and start to sing along. 

"I got you're picture, I'm coming with you-" 

"Dear Maria count me in." I look at him. 

"Hey! That's my part!" I say with a laugh. He looks back at the road and a look of concern washes over his face. 

"Carly look out!" 

-

-

-

I wake up in the back of an ambulance, my head throbbing.  

"She's awake." I hear someone say.

"Can you tell us your name and your age?"

"Carly Haze and I'm 17."

"What's today's date?"

"September 1st."

"Okay, that's all we needed to know." 

"How is the guy who was in the car with me? He's my boyfriend and I-"

"We aren't sure, but we'll make sure to tell the doctors to update you." I nod my head and soon we're at the hospital. I get wheeled into the ER and a few doctors start taking care of me. 

"Do you know anything about the guy who came in with me? His name is Michael Clifford." I ask while one of the doctors is stitching up my head.

"They're taking him to surgery."

"Surgery?" I repeat back. 

"They have to fix his broken leg, but he should be okay. We have some of the best working on it. You got lucky, you made it out with a head lack and a minor concussion." He gets done with me and I have to sit in the waiting room. I had called Luke a few minutes after I was taken to the hospital and I've been here for about a half hour. 

"Carly, are you okay?" I turn my head to see Luke. I stand up and pull him into a tight hug. We pull apart and sit down. "What happened?"

"We got into a car crash. One minute we were singing along to a song, then the next thing I know, I'm in the back of an ambulance."

"Where's Mike?"

"He broke his leg so they needed to do surgery, he should be out soon." 

"That's good. I'm really happy that you two are okay. When you called, I was really worried."

"I didn't mean to worry you. Him and I are fine."

"You should probably go and get some food. When's the last time you ate?"

"I was gonna eat when we got to your house."

"Okay well you head up to the cafeteria, and I'll stay here and wait for an update."

"Sounds like a plan." I smile and stand up. I walk out of the waiting room and wander around until I find the cafeteria. I grab a salad, pay for it, and then walk back to the waiting room. I scan the room before finding Luke. I walk over to him and he stands up. 

"He's out and they said that he's okay. We can see him if we want to."

"Okay. Let's go." Luke walks in front of me and basically leads the way. When we get to his room, Luke stops. 

"I'll let you go in first."

"You don't have-"

"Really, it's okay. Plus I'm waiting on a phone call from Ash and Cal." 

"Okay." I smile and place my hand on the door handle and open it. "Mikey, you're awake." I say as I walk into his hospital room. I sit down on the bed and begin to talk. "I was worried that you we're going to be awake. How are you feeling?"

"I-I'm feeling fine, but I have a question."

"Ask away." I say with a smile. 

"Who are you?" I feel my heart drop. 

"You-you're kidding right?" I say as I stand up from his bed. 

"N-no. I really don't know who you are." I feel my breathing starting to get faster and faster and my eyes burn with tears that are about to spill over. I then hear the door open and turn to see Luke. I quickly walk out of the room, brushing past Luke in the process. I get out to the hall and break down. I don't care that there's people staring at me, I have no control over this. 

"Carly?" I hear. I know it's Luke, so I try to collect myself so I can explain what just happened. "It's okay, he's-"

"He doesn't remember me." Saying it out loud makes it feel too real. 

"What do you mean?"

"I-I walked in and-and I asked him how he was. Then he asked me who I am." 

"He was probably-"

"That wasn't a joke Luke. God I can't be here right now." I say as I run my hands through my hair. 

"Carly, if you leave, he'll be alone."

"He doesn't remember me Luke!" It seems as if the whole hospital floor went silent. I then see a doctor walk towards me and Luke. 

"You said he doesn't remember you?" I nod my head. "Okay, well I'm going to do an exam just to see." I nod my head again and the doctor walks into his room. This is my worst nightmare and it's unfolding right in front of my eyes.