Soft and slow, watch the minutes go

Carly's POV

I sit in my room and get ready for the dance. It's the first one that I haven't been with Michael and it feels weird. I remember for freshman year he did this huge thing and that was he moment I realized that I was in love with him and we weren't even dating at the time. 

Flashback

I walk into the main lobby of the school so I can go and see my friends. I walk in and I don't see them. I wait in our spot until Luke finally comes up to me. 

"Michael got hurt, you need to come quick." 

"He what?"

"There's no time to explain, just hurry." He grabs my arm and begins to drag me to the other side of the school. I see a huge crowd of people standing in a circle and as I get closer, my heart begins to pound. Luke pushes him and I through the crowd until I'm face to face with Michael. He's holding this big sign that reads, 'I hate everyone, you hate everyone, let's hate everyone together at hoco.' and he's holding flowers. 

"Will you go to homecoming with me Carly?" 

"Of course I will." I saw with a smile. He smiles too and pulls me into a tight hug. I will never forget this day.

End of flashback

And I was right, I never will. I shake the thought out of my head and hear a knock on the door. 

"Come in." I say as I apply my mascara. 

"Hey honey, just checking up on you. Are you nervous?" 

"Why would I be nervous?"

"I don't know. This year has just-" I turn to face her. 

"It's been a nightmare, I know, but I think I'm okay now. I had time to think and to heal and so did he. He's happy and I think I'm finally starting to get there."

"I'm so proud of you. You've had to go through so much that I wish you didn't, but now look at you. My baby's getting ready to go to homecoming."

"I've done it before."

"I know, but every time has been with Michael. I really hope you and Calum have fun tonight. I have to go, but I'll be home before you." She kisses the top of my head and walks out of my room. I finish my make up and then get up and grab my dress. I set it on the bed and begin to get changed. I think that out of all the dresses I've had to wear to school, this one might be my favorite. 

I hear my phone ringing and so I walk over and pick it up

I hear my phone ringing and so I walk over and pick it up. I see that it's Calum calling so I quickly answer it. 

"Hey, I'm here. I hope you're ready and if you aren't, I can just wait in-"

"I'm ready. I'll be down in a sec." 

"Okay. I'll see you in a few." I take the phone away from my ear and hang up. I grab my wallet and make my way down the stairs. I walk out the front door and see Calum's car parked out front. I walk over to it, open the door, and get in. I see Calum look at me with this look in his eyes. Him and I haven't made anything official other than this homecoming date. "You look beautiful." 

"Thank you." I say with a smile. He turns the car on and I hear Dear Maria Count me in start to play. I haven't heard it since the crash and "Hey Cal, can you change the song?" 

"Why? I thought you loved this song?"

"I did, but now I don't, so can you please change it?" 

"Sure." He reaches for his phone which makes my heart start to race. I quickly grab it before he does and he gives me a weird look. I change the song, but he pulls the car over. "Is everything okay?" 

"It's just, the last time I heard that song, I got into a car crash. It's stupid." 

"It's not stupid and we'll be okay. I'm a pretty damn good driver."

"You got your licence less than a year ago."

"Hey, I may be new at it, but that doesn't make me bad at it." I laugh and he starts the car back up. I cannot believe it's been almost three months since that crash. I know I have to put it past  and me going to this dance is going to be the first way to do it. We get to the school and I see Luke and Ashton standing outside with their dates. We get out of the car and Calum holds his arm out. I walk over to him and put my arm through the space he created and we walk over to them. 

"You look amazing Carly." Luke says. I feel bad for kind of playing him, but him and I can get through anything. 

"Thanks Luke." I say with a smile. 

"So you guys ready?" Ashton asks. We all nod in agreement and we head to the building. We give the lady our tickets and we go inside the gym. The music is obviously really loud and there's a lot of people there. Most of them are just crackhead freshman who are exited about getting to go to their first high school dance. I happen to look over at the wrong time and see Michael and Rose making out in the far back corner. I quickly look away when Calum starts talking. 

"Wanna dance?" He asks. 

"It wouldn't be called a dance if we didn't." I say jokingly. We spend some time dancing before I need to step out and take a drink of water. As I take a drink from the water fountain, I hear someone say something to me. 

"Can we talk for a second?"