Meeting

Oswald's POV

"As members of the five families, you are well aware that with the tragic downfall of Captain Barnes, people are frightened. They will be looking to us for stability, to feel safe." I looked at every single one of them emphatically.

"So how does a 50% increase on protection fees sound?" They all giggled rudely.

"Sounds a little steep to me." A sudden all too familiar voice said. Barbara
Kean... She walked into the room nonchalantly.

"What do we have here? Little family reunion? My invention got lost in the mail?"

"No. This meeting is for grown-ups, so I'm gonna have to ask you to leave." I sassed, lowering my voice dangerously.

She flashed me a sarcastic smile. "Hm...quick question." The blonde woman pulled out a gun, pointing it directly at me, so did the other assembled immediately to her.

"Is it how I commit suicide. Because that answer is coming." Though I felt ugly fears in me, I pretended strong. How did she even dare to raise a weapon against me?!

"Tabitha and Butch are missing. Where are they? " Barb wasn't up for games, she was serious about them, I just had to be careful not to take the wrong line. So, I simply shrugged.

" I have no idea. Haven't seen Butch since his little summer stock revival of the Red Hood Gang."

"Let's cut the crap, shall we? Tabitha has been helping Butch hide since your little victory celebration. They are an item now. Barf. She is supposed to check in every night and she hasn't. She's not answering her phone and no one has seen her." Her facial expression changed into something threatening as if the devil himself was speaking out of her.

But I only smiled at her boundless stupidity. Typically blond. "And you think I took them?"

"Obviously."

I chuckled, eye-rolling. "How about this?" You lower your gun and beg for forgiveness for this gross insubordination." She sighed annoyed. "And I might let you walk out of here alive."

Suddenly Olga entered the room and brought some desserts for me and the guests. Barbara turned to her, then back to me, devilishly smiling. "My apologies. They must have run off somewhere without telling me."

I could feel it deep in my bones that she was definitely up to something. Barbara was the type of person who would not give up until she got what she wanted.

"Love...makes people do crazy things, doesn't it?" The others lowered their gun. I approached her and gave her a devilish, mad look. "We have a history, you and I. But if you ever point a gun at me again. Olga will be clearing your brain off the floor. She's a real whiz with stains."

"Bye Pengy." The snake murmured and left.

Ed... God damn, I had to inform him about the new circumstances, immediately.

"Everyone out here now!" I demanded sharply.

• • •

5 minutes later...

"Are you checking up on me? Ed questioned through the telephone.

"What? No. Barbara Kean was here. She's looking for them."

"So?"

"So...are you finished yet?"

"We've talked about this. I need to work through my grief, my way."

"Of course. But could you be a bit faster with it? And I support you. Any chan e you could work through it a smidge faster? I am swamped today."

Instead of answering, the dial tone drones.

Great...

• • •

"Everything alright, Mr. Cobblepot?" Olga asked me a few hours later after the meeting.

"Yeah just making plans for the baby, anyway I wanted to ask you if you have some tips about handling a newborn." In a way I felt pretty embarrassed, never being aware that one day I would have to ask my housekeeper these questions.

Olga giggled. "Out of the blue, it's difficult to say, which things you exactly have to follow, if the baby will be born, you will instinctively know what to do and if not, I'm always here to help." she smiled warmly and I recognized that her English improved a lot. 

"Thank you so much, Olga, I really appreciate this. Oh, there is one more thing: I'm going to resign as a mayor at Friday's press conference and after it, we have to set up the baby's nursery, and I want to ask you, to run a few errands, if that's possible?"

"Of course Mr. Cobblepot." The housekeeper was about to leave, as she turned back to me again. "Have you already decided on a name for the little one?"

"Oh yes. But that's my little secret for now." I smiled mysteriously.

• • •

Heyy guys!😊

I have a little surprise for you all: from now on I will do a chapter upload on this story EVERY Sunday!!
Love you all, thanks for your support!

~ Helix❤