14. Court

tw // violence , abuse , bruises

Refrain from reading if it will trigger something. I tried my best to make these specific scenes lightly narrated. :))

Ezra's POV

"He's treating you wrong, isn't he?"

Kinakabahan at pinagpapawisan akong nag angat ng tingin kay Bri. She asked that very sensitive question when the others are out of earshot.

She shut her eyes tight, "I knew it.."

"H-How did you—"

"Your movements, they way you speak, the way you're always on alert, like something bad is going to happen to you, I noticed it." I swallowed hard at her answer, "I know it, I was once like that."

Now it's my turn to close my eyes tight.

"Gaano kagrabe yung mga ginagawa niya sayo?"

I told her all the sinful things Danilo has done for me. Patagal nang patagal kong sinasabi'y mas lalo ko lang siya nakikitaan ng galit.

"Tangina, sinasabi ko na nga bang may mali talaga roon, eh.." mariin niyang sabi, "gaano na katagal niyang ginagawa sayo yun?"

"A-About second trimester of our m-marriage.."

"Kaya ba hindi ka na nakapag-aral? Hindi ka niya pinayagan?"

I shook my head, her forehead creased because of that, "I-I don't want you guys to know.."

"Ezra!"

"I'm sorry! I want to keep it a secret! You of all people should have an understanding grasp of this.."

"Still, you should've told us! Naalala mo yung galit niyo ni Alegre sakin nung hindi ko kayo pinagsabihan? Na kinimkim ko yung pinagdaanan ko ng ilang buwan? That's what I'm feeling right now! You of all people should have a fucking understanding grasp of this!"

"I couldn't tell Amora and Hugo because I don't want to distract them off their career, nagsisimula palang sila! I couldn't tell Alegre because damn it, Danilo is his freaking cousin! And I couldn't tell you because.." napalunok ako, "b-because I don't want to remind you of.."

Kahit na hindi ko kinumpleto ay nakuha niya agad 'yon, she bit her lip as if restraining herself from saying violent words at me, she closed her eyes as if calming herself.

"Ibig mong sabihin.. sa isang buong taong yun.. tinitiis mo lahat 'yon?" Nag iwas lang ako ng tingin sakanya, "Ezra, I couldn't even endure it for half a year!"

"I'm sorry—"

"No! You will not apologize, ayang hudas mong asawa ang dapat mag sorry sayo sa lahat ng ginawa niya!" I didn't answer her, "you gotta break the marriage off with him."

Naalarma ako roon, "Bri, I can't—"

"Why can't you? Pati 'yon, pinagbabawalan niya?" Hindi ako sumagot, "Ezra, what he's doing is abusing you! It's simply domestic abuse!"

"H-He's not like that all the time—"

"Are you seriously fucking standing up for him?" Natahimik ako dun. "Break it up with him, Ez."

"How?"

"Annulment."

I swallowed hard, "a-annulment?"

"Yes, because divorces aren't permitted here in the country. Makikipag-annul ka sakanya. I don't want your whole life robbed by that son of a bitch! You don't deserve that!"