(14) food

When the boys had finished eating, Carson and I cleaned up the kitchen while they played Mario Kart on their switch.
"So what do you think of them? Honestly.", he asked pointing his head towards the boys who were now screaming and pushing each other to win.
" They are great. Seriously. They all have an incredible personality and humor. You are so lucky to have such great friends. "  Carson smiled like a proud father and agreed.

"Soo.. When am I going to meet your friends? " That question made me freeze. I told Carson about high school. More than I had ever told anyone before but.. But he didn't get it? I wanted to tell him that I had no friends even after a year of college but I knew he would pity me and it would make things awkward so I just replied
"Maybe one day. "

He smiled but in his eyes I could also see a different emotion.
Hurt? Why would he be hurt? Is he thinking that I don't want him to meet my friends? My imaginary friends.
Maybe I could life with this lie a little longer until Carson and I were closer and then I could just tell him that I had outgrown them?

I started to worry that I made the wrong call to lie. But it was too late to change anything. After we finished cleaning I said goodbye to them all and walked home.
It was strange to leave I had spend so much time with Carson, over the past few days, that I didn't really have time to be sad. But I had time now and I was sad.

When I arrived home I started my homework and began planning my semester, something I normally would have done at the very first day.
A few hours later I was finished with my homework and starving.
I walked into my kitchen in search of food but couldn't find anything. I decided I'd go out and eat somewhere.
I left my flat and made my way to a restaurant nearby.

I ordered my food to go and the cashier led me to a table and told me to sit down. As I was sitting down in the very empty restaurant I began playing on my phone. After a while I noticed 2 people coming in and heading in my direction. I looked up and a young girl followed by Carson..
Carson?

I looked up and smiled at both, a little surprised. The girl noticed me first and looked me up and down before she scoffed and walked past me. Then Carson noticed me.
He looked very surprised and even embarrassed and just smiled awkwardly in my direction. They both sat down not very far from me and I could hear their conversation very well even tho Carson seemed to be talking quietly or whispering.

"Unbelievable. The nerve some girls have. So desperate she even hits on you when I'm around. Do you know her? ", the blonde girl asked and I swallowed the feelings that came up by her words.
" Hey please don't be so loud she can probably hear you! ", was Carson's response. I tried to breath quietly to catch Carson' response.
" Don't be stupid Carson. Of course she can't hear us she is too far away. So what you know her? "
Carson was quiet for a moment before he answered "no I don't think so. "
The girl seemed mad at his reply so she asked a few times what he meant by "I don't think so'.

Carson claiming he didn't know me let my heart sink.
He really was embarrassed of me? Just like my old high school ''friends".