(6) the truth

"I'm not mad at you" I said confused.
"Well why won't you talk to me? What happened while I got my keys? "
I bit my lip before answering, unsure if the truth was the best option.
"Well your friend Cooper he-.. " I bit my lip again. What if I hurt their friendship? What if I wasn't supposed to know about this girl that ruined Carson's life?

"What?? What did Cooper say? What did he do? " Carson sounded angry and confused, like he couldn't believe his friend would do something to hurt my feelings. I still wasn't able to answer.
We just looked at each other for a moment and I was able to calm down.

"He just told me about an incident you had and told me he didn't want me to do the same" Carson seemed confused with my vague response before it seemed to click in his head and he looked really angry.

"What did he tell you exactly? " He sounded mad and I was afraid that if I knew his secret he might not want to be my friend anymore. But it seemed like he really wanted and needed to know.
"A girl made you depressed and he was concerned I'd do the same" I just answered quietly and carson looked away.

It was really awkward sitting in his car and just ignoring each other, for what seemed like eternity. Finally, I broke the silence.
"Hey it's getting really late so I better head home" Carson didn't answer and I got out of the car and looked back at him.
Was this the last interaction we would have?

As I started to walk to my apartment I heard footsteps behind me. I turned around to see Carson catching up to me.
I smiled at him and we continued walking.
"Carson, we don't have to talk about that girl. Ever. " He just thanked me and I looked at him.
He didn't seem happy. Maybe it was the wrong decision to tell him about what Cooper said. Maybe it was a test of Cooper if I'd hurt Carson's feelings or keep the info to myself.
Had I failed his test?

When we arrived at my apartment I looked at him again. He met my eyes and I didn't know what to say.
"Are you going to tell Cooper I told you? "
Carson thought for a bit before he nodded. "He can't just go around and tell my secrets to random people" He answered and my stomach dropped.

So I was just a random person.

Well it made sense after just one day of knowing each other and I wasn't sure what I had expected.
I didn't look at Carson and just opened my door before waving to him over my shoulder, still not looking at him. I made my way up the stairs and after closing my apartment door I started to cry.

"He can't just go around and tell my secrets to random people", I heard his voice in my head and began to cry harder. It was so strange Carson was the best friend I ever had to me and I was a no one to him.
He had so many friends and I had none. It made sense I would try and force something between us that wasn't mutual.
Was I really projecting so much?
What was I even thinking?