(10) break

Exhausted beyond belief and ready to take a nap, I made my way out the back door to take my break. Only two more hours and I would be able to finally go home. I sat down on the pavement rubbing my sore legs and took out my phone.

2 new messages from an unknown number.

Hey Anna it's Carson.

Why aren't you responding? You
Working or smth?

I smiled at the chat and responded

Yeah actually, but I'm taking my
Break right now so you can
Annoy me.

Finally! So when are you of?

It's gonna be a while.
I leave around 8

But the sun is almost setting.
Aren't you afraid in the dark?

No? I worked here in the
winter too.

I could come and get you so
You could join my late stream?

I don't think so. I really
Need to shower! Next time?

:'(

Don't be sad! I'm sorry
Carson I don't think you
Understand the importance of
My shower

:'(

Well, if you want I could
Come to you after I showered!

:)

Give me your address so I can
get an Uber to your place

No worries! I'll come get you.

I protested but there was no changing his mind. I wondered if he just wanted to avoid giving me his address. Yeah that must be it, he probably just doesn't trust me yet. I texted with him a little more before it got time for me to continue working.

A little before 8 my boss finally let me go and I hurried home so I wouldn't have to keep Carson waiting.
I quickly got my new clothes ready and jumped in the shower after I had texted Carson that he could get on his way.
After my shower, I brushed my teeth and started to blow dry my hair when my door bell rang I panicked and quickly got dresses while I buzzed the down stairs door open. I glaced at my alarm and it had been less than 10 minutes since I texted Carson.
Had he hurried over here?

My thoughts were interrupted by a knock on my front door. I peeped threw the door hole and it really was Carson.
I opened the door with still wet hair and greeted him with an 'You're here early'.
He chuckled and looked at my hair. "Seems like it. Should I wait in your room? "
I nodded and went back to the bathroom to continue to dry my hair. When I finished, I got back in my room and caught Carson looking through one of my photo albums.

"What are you doing" I asked trying to stay calm and Carson flinched when he heard me behind him. He turned smiling and pointed at the book in his hands.
"You must really love your parents. " He said while pointing to pictures of my 15th birthday. It showed me and my parents at home with a cake and a few presents. It was the first birthday I celebrated without any friends and at the time I was convinced it would be the only one.

The picture brought back a lot of bad memories and thoughts. I just took the book out of his hands and placed it on my shelf where he had found it. I didn't even remember bringing it here when I first moved in, my mother probably smuggled it into one of my suitcases.
"Let's not talk about it. " I answered Carson's question and he just nodded and walked to the door.
"Ready to go?"