Walking Bud - [Irene]

My heart was beating so fast while I was talking to Wendy during lunch. Even when we exchanged numbers and she put a heart next to my name, it lit me up.

I'm sitting on my bed holding the phone, trying to figure out how to start a conversation with her. It's also 1:15 in the morning, so I don't know if she'll even be awake.

My mom knocks on my door. "Irene?"

I put my phone down. "Yes?"

"Don't you think you should be going to bed now?" she asks. "You have school tomorrow, don't you?"

"I'm waiting for someone to text me," I say. "I'm going to wait a little bit more but I'll be in bed before 1:30, I promise."

She smiles. "Okay. Goodnight, Baechu." I smile and she closes the door.

I look back on my phone. There's nothing. Should I just text her something? I bring my fingers to the phone's keyboard but I can't think of anything to type.

I wait another five minutes but then I get tired. I get up and brush my teeth. I tell myself not to check my phone once I get back in my room but I can't stop myself.

I expect there to be nothing new, but to my surprise, I see three gray dots on the screen. I drop the phone out of excitement and I quickly get in bed, holding the phone up. I should probably answer a few minutes after she sends the text so she doesn't think I've been staring at my phone for hours, waiting for her.

She texts me. ru awake?

I can't help but respond right away. yea, everything good?

W: yeah, actually, the breakup went really well, I just can't sleep

I: why? what's wrong?

W: idk, but I figured it was a good excuse to text you

My heart flutters. oh?

W: sorry, that was weird

W: I'm usually like that with my friends

W: sorry if that weirded you out

I: no, not at all, I get it

I: you love your friends, it's not weird

W: I guess you're one of my friends now

I: I guess I am

Neither of us types anything else. I wonder if she's staring at her phone screen like I am, wondering what to do. The grey dots appear again. What are you doing right now?

I: I was just about to go to sleep

W: really? I'm sorry, I texted you and you couldn't sleep

I: no, it's okay, I'm not that tired anyway

I: I like talking to you

W: I like talking to you too

Silence again. Wendy begins to type again. Do you want me to add you to the group chat I have with me and my friends?

I: sure

I see a group appear in my messages. It's called "crackheads." I tap on it. They text a lot. They've been texting for the past hour, actually. Why didn't Wendy just talk to them? My stomach does a flip. She wanted to talk to me.

Y: who tf

W: I added one of my friends

W: that okay?