Ch 31

31

1 ½ year later

Even though she never did go to the premiere, she went to that party, and it did not stop her from dreaming. This dreaming though, did not get her very far, not until a ghost from the past showed up on her doorstep once more.

I woke up late with the sun beams playing lazily through my lands and onto the carpet.

I rubbed my eyes and felt a furry feeling by my feet; Tilly the little, white kitten I adored so.

Relaxed, I made my way downstairs and made some coffee, saying hello to my parents. My dad was reading the morning newspaper, still fresh and crisp, and mom was getting ready to leave for work, naturally in a bit of a rush. I sighed at the morning, I began to like mornings and even prefer them. Mornings are good and full of possibilities. Not like the evenings, when you know what's done is done and there is no room left for the same kind of possibilities which stretch out ahead of you as they do in the mornings.

Mom left and I took to the kitchen to bake banana bread. There, a good way to start a day if any.

I looked out the kitchen window while mixing the flour at the little garden that is our backyard. We moved. The circumstances moved us. Dad lost his job so we had to downsize. But my heart is full and my garden is beautiful. I smiled, looking down at Tilly once more as she rubbed herself against my legs.

After putting the banana bread in the oven, I sat down at the kitchen table to look at my emails and reply, mostly school stuff.

I turned on some music, my fingers lingering on the vintage music player, one of the few truly nice things we kept. Mmm, Blind Willie Johnson, blues. Good stuff.

Blues and coffee that's what dreams are made of.

I stepped outside into the garden waiting for the banana bread to cook and looked up at the sun. My doctor said I don't get enough Vitamin D, which is almost metaphorical I thought. I picked up Tilly, and sat on a garden chair outside, in the sun. She was purring, and I was thinking of her existence. How simple it must be. Yet, at the same time, it must be devoid of the little human pleasure on the other side of the human hardships.

I left upstairs to go to my typewriter. I was writing a book, and somehow doing it on an internet devoid machine made it feel more authentic.

I didn't get very far though, I was feeling uninspired. I wasn't sad. In fact, I was content. Funny enough though, I only seem to get inspiration when I am suffering from something, that which lacks gives joy in its presence. But there I was, staying at home and...calm. Nothing, was bothering me, anymore.

"Sara," I heard my dad call from downstairs.

I got up out of my chair and came out.

"Yea, daddy?" I came out to the  top of the stairs.

"I'm leaving, I have to run some errands, do you need anything from the library?" Dad had a briefcase in one hand and his shoes already on.

"No, but, you look nice!" I said because he was wearing a suit, clearly up to something. I came to the bottom of the stairs, thinking I'd get an explanation.

"See ya kiddo," he only smiled and reached for the door.

"Bye!" I turned around, grasping the bannister to go up, but I froze when I heard that Dad opened the door, but didn't step out. In fact, he opened the door to a voice.

"Oh, hello." The voice said to my dad.

I blinked. I didn't have to turn around.

"Hello," my dad replied, clearly almost as surprised as I was. "Sara, I didn't know we were having guests."