009.

「009. homeless guys are fire stealing magicians」

"WE'RE TOTALLY being watched," spoke barbie as she peered out of the window, the world looking tinted due to her wearing her sunglasses.

"we have to ditch the van," spoke percy, somewhat agreeing with barbie.

their quest mates looked at the two of them, as if they were worried barbie would randomly snap at percy. but what was surprising was how oddly civil the two of them had been to each other. neither of them had actually started a fight yet.

granted, barbie had snapped a few times at percy, and in return percy had too. but there was no major threats and (although barbie swore it never happened) thalia said she saw the two of them share a very, very small smile.

"maybe the military will shoot it down," spoke grover hopefully.

"the military probably think it's theirs, grover," spoke barbie, glaring at the helicopter.

"how can the general use mortals anyway," asked percy.

"mercenaries," spoke zoë, her nose scrunched up in disgust, "it is distasteful, but many mortals will fight for any cause if they are paid."

"but don't these mortals see who they are working for?" asked percy in confusion.

"they probably don't see the monsters around them, the mist can be very powerful," spoke barbie offhandedly as she checked her nails for any chipping, "even a dumbass like yourself should know that."

"gee," he said, his tone flat and his expression showed he wasn't mused, "thanks."

"subway entrance," spoke bianca, "let's go south, alexandria."

"anything," thalia agreed quickly, rushing around with the rest of them.

they bought tickets and got through the turnstiles, constantly looking behind them for a sign of the mercenaries. luckily, they had safely bordered the train and when they went over ground they could still see the helicopters circling the van, but it didn't look like they were following them for now.

"nice job, bianca, thinking of the subway."

bianca looked pleased, "yeah, well. i remembered that station from when nico and i came through last summer. i was really surprised to see it, because it wasn't here when we used to live in d.c."

grover frowned, "new? but that station looked really old."

"i guess," bianca said, "but trust me, when we lived here as little kids, there was no subway."

thalia sat forward, "wait a minute. no subway at all?"

"bianca," spoke barbie in confusion, "how long-"

"we need to change trains at the next stop," spoke percy urgently as the helicopter noises got closer to them.

they had taken two trains after they switched stations, and they had thankfully lost the helicopter. barbie shivered slightly as they walked out, she pulled on her thick hoodie and huddled closely inside of it.