~ Strong Together ~

March 2020

Y/N's POV:
Ever since Trump announced that we have several thousand cases of Coronavirus in America, I've spent less time on the hospital floor and more time in board rooms with my boss and board members of the hospital. They all decided to appoint me the delightful job of being head of the covid ward, which consists of around 30 nurses and 5 doctors including myself. I try telling them all that I'm only a few years out of my residency and that I'm not the right candidate. But they ignore me and continue to say that I'm the best doctor they've seen in a long time and that there's no one else to lead this team.

The meeting finishes and I'm still sitting in the board room trying to understand what happened. Thankfully, they gave me the rest of the week off to process everything. Am I prepared to lead all these people through a global crisis? I'm only 28 for God's sake and there's more experienced doctors but they chose me? I just don't understand it. I get pulled out of my thoughts by my phone ringing from my pocket so I pull it out and see it's Demi. I wipe my tears away and answer it before it rings out.

"Hey beautiful" I answer.

"What's wrong?" She senses that somethings wrong, shit.

"Just work stuff. What's up?"

"Nothing, I just wanted to see how you were going babe" Demi asks.

"I'm just tired and exhausted. I'm leaving now though so I'll be home soon" I say as I start to walk back to my locker in the staff lounge.

"You're leaving early? I thought you had the late shift?" Demi asks confused.

"Something happened and they're giving me the rest of the day off. I'll explain when I get back. Do you want anything from the store?" I ask as I get my bag out and clock out.

"Just your beautiful self baby" I smile and start walking to my car.

"Okay, I'll see you soon Dems. I love you"

"I love you more, be careful"

I get in my car and drive straight to Dianna's house, where everyone is quarantining. Before I know it, I'm pulling into the driveway behind Demi's car. I feel something wet on my cheeks and I didn't even know I'm crying. I grab my bag and walk inside, putting my keys away from everyone else's. Dianna's rules, not mine.

Without even acknowledging everyone in the lounge room, I go to Demi's old room, get some pjs, have a shower and put my scrubs in the washing machine. I start the machine and I just break down crying. I sit on the floor with my knees up to my chest and tears flowing out of my eyes. I hear footsteps coming around the corner and I quickly stand up and wipe my eyes free of tears. I pretend to be busy by sorting out my clean scrubs until I feel arms around my waist.

"There you are beautiful" Demi kisses my cheek, making me half smile.

I make the mistake of sniffling and Demi turns me around, with a concerned and worried look on her face.

"Oh baby girl" I don't say anything, I just hug her tightly and cry into her shoulder.

"Shh deep breaths baby, I've got you. I'm right here" Demi rubs circles on my back and I instantly start to calm down.

"Wanna go cuddle and you can tell me what happened at work?" I nod and Demi intertwines our hands together before going upstairs to her old room.

We get on the bed and I instantly cuddle into Demi. I cry a little bit more before calming down and sitting up to get my breath.

"So this whole week I've been in meetings with the board members and my boss talking about this stupid virus. And they all want me to run the covid ward when it eventually comes around here. They ignored me when I said no and now I'm running the ward with 30 nurses and 5 doctors" I say and look at Demi with tired and stressed eyes.