Her face dissolved into her huge smile as she closed the distance between us to stand by my side

"Hey, Adam. How're you? How was the long break? I heard that you traveled to Canada. Hope you enjoyed your stay there?"

She asked all in one breath whilst hugging me. I don't even know which one to answer.
She pulled back, the huge smile still on her face.

I cleared my throat, and tried to come up with the perfect way to reply to her without seeming too interested and not interested at the same time.

"I'm fine. It was fine. Hope you're good too?"

She launched into the details of how she spent her holidays, laughing and gesticulating.

We soon got to the last floor and I immediately excused myself. Breathing the same air as Aminah was always suffocating.

Students milled around, clustered in twos and threes, talking loudly and catching up. Some had phones in their hands and some were even listening to music while some were taking pictures.

Crescent High should have expected this kind of malady when they started allowing phones in school during school hours.

I ignored everyone, ignored the whispers of greetings to me and I just focused on walking to my class. No sooner had I entered the classroom than the bell sounded, signaling the time for assembly. I looked around for Kunle but he was nowhere to be found.

First Assemblies were always the same thing anyway. Catching up, telling the SS3 students to face their studies because they had a serious year in front of time.

Dr. Williams, our principal had even resulted in using the same words, the same words. Like, can't that man try to improvise a little? It was always so boring.

I might as well skip the assembly.

And that's what I did.

While my mates were filling into the hall for the morning devotion, I walked to Art Studio. The door was opened and I let myself in feeling the rush of excitement every time I stepped into an art studio. I took in the studio, watching every stool, to every desk to every pencil and equipment.

We had a mini art gallery right at the entrance of the art studio where all the drawings and paintings made in Cresent were displayed. Crescent High took pride in thousands of things and letting the world know how multi-talented its students were was definitely on top of that list. And we had two studios in the Art Studio: the painting and decoration studio and the visual Art studio. I was currently in the visual Art studio.

I looked around and my eyes fell on the words flashing from the board.

RÉUNION.

Typically of Mr. Adisa never waste time. SS2 and SS3 students always had a theme for a week. A theme to draw but I had joined them since JSS3 because well, I don't take pride in a lot of things but I took great pride in boasting of my drawing prowess.

Drawing prowess?

I chuckled at the thought of that. I definitely wouldn't have come up with a phrase like that. That was Kunle's idea, not mine.

I smiled a little and I started setting up the canvas. When I was done setting it, I set my pencils on the table and I started drawing.

I already had a distinct idea of what my drawing would be about immediately I saw the theme and like always, I lost track of time drawing when I heard someone open the door.

"I knew you'd be here."

I smiled and mentally rolled my eyes at Kunle's words. He walked to where I sat and he peered at me drawing over my shoulders. The drawing still wouldn't make sense to anybody