I Thought You Were The One

You took a break from watching TV to glance over at Demi. She wasn't paying attention to the show like you were, instead she was more interested in whoever she was texting. You weren't surprised at all because it seemed like lately all she ever did when she was around you was pay attention to her phone. You had been watching her out of the corner of your eye all night and had finally thought of the right words to confront her with.

“I really hope that whoever you're texting is a family member” you said, alluding to the fact that she had previously cheated on you. She visibly tensed and inhaled sharply before turning her phone off and looking at you. “Of course it is. Can we change the channel though? This show is boring.” You held eye contact with her for a few moments before she became uncomfortable and looked away. The way she had said it made you feel like she was calling you boring and not the show, but maybe that was just you being insecure and paranoid.

You changed the channel to something that you hoped would catch Demi's interest, yet after several minutes passed and you looked over at her again, you were quite dismayed to see that she was now smiling down at her phone. “It's her again, right?” Hearing your accusation, Demi's jaw clenched and she tightened her grip on the phone. “It didn't seem like she was going to answer, so you just frowned and pulled out your own phone. If she could spend all night on her phone, then so could you.

Quickly becoming bored with playing pointless games, you gave an exasperated groan and put your phone down. “I don't want to be with you anymore” you said, surprising even yourself. The thought hadn't crossed your mind until just now, and you definitely hadn't planned on vocalizing it. Your words clearly shocked Demi as well. She put her phone to the side, clearing her throat and biting her lip while she stared at you, waiting for you to take back what you had just said.

You sputtered random words as you made an attempt to backtrack, though you ultimately decided you didn't want to be the weak one anymore. You turned so you were completely facing her, not saying anything until she mirrored your movements. “Demi, you cheated on me. I know I said that I'm over it because you apologized, but I honestly can't stop thinking about it. Even if your intentions weren't to hurt me, there was still something inside of you that wanted to be with her instead of me. I don't get how you can wake up every single day and pretend like it didn't happen when it's all I can think about. It's destroying me.”

Nothing that you were saying was appearing to have any affect on her. “I knew this was going to happen. You don't know how to move past anything” she said, her voice holding a sharp tone. You blinked back tears that you desperately hoped wouldn't fall. This wasn't how this night was supposed to turn out at all. Demi stood up, making you jump up too and reach out to grab her hand. “Don't” she snapped, quickly moving it out of your reach. You should've known that she wouldn't want to hold your hand, so you blamed yourself for being stupid enough to think that it would've been okay.

“I'm sorry” you muttered, hoping that she believed you. You really were sorry. You had spent years wishing that she was yours, and when you finally got her you were so happy that you never expected anything to go wrong. But they did. She had apologized countless times for cheating, though you knew it was you who should be apologizing since it was obviously your fault for not doing enough to keep her interested in you and you alone.

“If we're doing this again then it's for good. I don't want us to be the couple that always breaks up and then gets back together. You know I really want to be with you, right? I just think it's doing you more harm than anything. If you really want me to leave then I will, because I want you to make the right decision.” How could she put that responsibility on you? For so long you had relied on her to help you with every little thing, and now not only was she giving you the chance to make your own choice, but she was also saying that she wouldn't try to fight it.

It felt like hours had passed before you finally made your decision. “You can go” you whispered, covering up the way your voice cracked by immediately clearing your throat. She seemed surprised by your words, almost as if she had expected you to change your mind. You couldn't do that though. Staying with her meant that you would always feel insecure about yourself and the possibility of her cheating would always be on your mind. “I wish you didn't think so negatively of yourself, that way you could see how much I truly love you. I'm sorry I couldn't prove it to you” she said softly, smiling at you sadly before she grabbed her things and left without another word. You didn't cry until the door closed, hot tears spilling onto your cheeks. You were sorry too, sorry that you so easily gave up on the person that you had planned on spending the rest of your life with. Now that she was gone for good, there was nothing more you wanted than for her to come back.

Demi Lovato ImaginesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara