Proud

You peeked out nervously from behind the curtain, gasping at the large crowd that had gathered. Demi was performing at NYC Pride and as her girlfriend she said that you were obligated to support her from backstage. Of course you agreed. You had been together for 3 months, but nobody outside of your families and her crew had any idea.

“How do you think they would react?” You didn't realize Demi had been standing behind you, so when she spoke you jumped a little. She laughed and mumbled something about you being cute and kissed your cheek. “React to what?” you asked, not sure what she was talking about.

She placed her hands on your waist and pulled you away from the curtain. “Us. What do you think they would say?”You didn't know how to answer. Honestly, it wasn't something you had ever thought about. You were content with the way your relationship was, although it would be nice to not have to be so secretive.

“I don't really know. But it's not like they're going to know anytime soon, right?” You thought you saw a glimpse of hesitation in her eyes before she nodded quickly and smiled. She leaned in to kiss you but just as her lips touched yours, she was being called to the stage. “Guess I gotta go. See you after!” She gave you one last peck before jogging away to make her entrance.

You wandered into Demi's dressing room so you could relax. Not that you didn't want to watch her perform, you were just really tired. Demi had dragged you all over the city and you were quite exhausted. A nap would have been preferable, but the couch wasn't that comfortable. Instead, you decided to pull out your phone and do some creeping on Twitter.

As far as the fans were concerned, you were just a really good friend of Demi's, like Marissa. They had no clue whatsoever. From what people were saying on Twitter, Demi had already given one speech and sang 2 songs. You were watching Vines of the speech when something she said caught your attention.

The audio wasn't that clear, but it definitely sounded like Demi said she had a surprise for them later on. She hadn't mentioned anything about that to you, so you had no clue what she meant. You made a mental note to check again in a few minutes to see if she had done anything, although technically you could just go ask any of the coordinators if they knew. You were too lazy though, not wanting to get up from your spot.

You put your phone down on the ground and tried to get into a more comfortable position. It was hard though because the couch was so stiff that you just couldn't get comfortable. Eventually you huffed in frustration and rolled off the couch onto the floor. Surprisingly, the carpet was more comfortable. You draped an arm over your eyes to block out the bright ceiling lights.

If you listened carefully, you could hear music but not what Demi was singing. The cheers of the crowd were louder than both her and the band, and you doubted that they could hear Demi any better than you. You closed your eyes as if that would help you hear better, straining your ears to hear Demi's voice.

No such luck though. The crowd was simply way too loud. You sat up to grab your headphones from the table, flipping over onto your stomach when you sat back down. You plugged them into your phone and hit shuffle, not caring what song it played. You turned the volume down and closed your eyes again, breathing deeply until you started falling asleep.

In less than 5 minutes you found yourself being shaken awake. “What?” you snapped at whoever it was without lifting your head. “Demi wants you to join her on stage.” You groaned and looked up at Sugar, who was probably just as confused as you. “Why?” He shrugged and extended his hand out to you, which you took as he pulled you up. “She's not starting the next song until you go out there, so you better hurry up.”

He didn't really give you a chance to object or say anything, because he grabbed your arm and walked you out of the room and towards the curtain. “Wait. I can't go out there. I'm not used to being in front of so many people” you said nervously. Sugar smiled and gave you a somewhat awkward reassuring pat on the back. “Whatever it is, I'm sure you'll be fine.”

The next thing you knew, he had pushed you out onto the stage. You would have stumbled over your feet had Demi not been there to catch you. You opened your mouth to ask what was going on, but she whispered something that only you could hear. “Just relax and stand next to me.” You swallowed nervously but nodded to show her you understood.

She pulled you by your hand to the front of the stage. Your heart was racing and you were pretty sure your palms were sweating, but you were too nervous to check. You tried to pull your hand away from Demi but she just tightened her grip. She brought the mic to her mouth and began addressing the crowd.

“Did you guys like that last song?” The audience roared in response, but you had no idea what song she was talking about. One of the backup dancers who was standing behind you seemed to understand your dilemma. “Really Don't Care” she whispered in your ear. You shot her a grateful smile which she returned.

“Now how many of you know my good friend Y/N?” Once again, they bellowed unintelligible words. Demi didn't seem to care, because she just kept talking. “Well, this is my surprise for you guys.” Your heart pounded as you started to realize what she was doing. “Demi, you don't ha-” She shut you up with a kiss. It wasn't like the kiss before the show. No, this was a full blown passionate kiss. “Kiss back” she mumbled against your lips.

You snapped out of your surprised stupor and did as she asked. You didn't know what to do with your hands since you were in front of such a large crowd, so Demi just took them in between hers. You pulled away when air because necessary and only then did you notice that the crowd was freaking out. Some people that you could see in the front row were actually crying. “In case you haven't figured it out by now, Y/N is actually my girlfriend!” Demi laughed at the insane reaction the crowd was giving. You started laughing too when you heard someone call out “I knew it!” They started chanting for you two to kiss again, and this time you didn't hesitate. “I love you” Demi whispered right before your lips touched. It was the first time she had ever said it, but you knew she meant it. “I love you more” you said between kissing, smiling now that there was nothing to hide.