Chapter 7: I wanted to become a singer

"Hey dad"

"Hey,sweetie. How are doing? Are you enjoying your trip so far?"

That was a tough question to answer. It reminded me of the incident that just took place.

"I am fine and the trip has been great so far." I said in a small voice.

"I want you enjoy like you have never before. This time,this moment is for you to live and for you cherish afterwards. Don't let anything spoil it."

"I won't." We talked a little more then I hung up.

My dad is a phenomenal singer. He isn't very famous but he along with my mother managed to provide me with everything I wanted in my life.

Talking with dad brought back all the memories of my childhood. I remember spending my majority time with my mother in her bakery. Those were the days my dad was struggling for any kind of chance he could get to sing.

I always loved to sing. Everyone said that it was a blessing and that I was lucky I had such a melodious voice. My mother despised the fact that I liked to sing. Seeing my father struggle for so long had left her bitter. She always told me to study and become a doctor and I did become one.

I see the sun setting down, feel the strong winds messing my hair and this serene atmosphere brings a sense of tranquillity within me.

I feel a hand on my shoulder. I turn around to see a worried Samantha.

"Are you okay? He can be difficult sometimes."

"I am fine. Let's go back"

When I return to my seat. I sense a awkwardness among everyone. I pick up my book and start reading and I get so engrossed in it but I sense everyone going back to normal. They all laugh about something Liam said and I mentally appreciate his efforts to curb this awkwardness and remove me from a tough spot.

We all have food and retire to our berth early. I lie down and all I can think about is the events of day. I was at least happy about the fact that I had a talk with my dad. He has always been so busy in making his career that he hardly gets any time for us.

Tomorrow afternoon we will be reaching Delhi. I was elated as tomorrow was a new day and as people say a new beginning. With that last thought in mind and I slept.

A loud bang woke me up. I jolted up; somebody had dropped their luggage. I checked my phone and it was quarter to three. I couldn't sleep again so I decided to take a stroll in the congested passage of the train and pay a visit to the washroom.

As soon as I reached near the common washroom,I realised someone was standing. Someone I know.

There stood Sebastian.

As soon as I saw him I made a beeline back to my berth.

"Stay" I heard his voice.

I turned around and awkwardly stood their,both of us enjoying the cool breeze and the occasional whistling of the train in the background.

"What are you doing here?" He asked much to my suprise. Since we were the only ones present, I assumed that the question was directed to me.

I shrugged as a reply; not really understanding what I was supposed to say.

"I write a travel blog about the places I visit. I work in couple of travel shows. The last place I visited was Kerala." He started speaking to me all of a sudden.When he took to a pause; I thought it was my clue to say something so I said:

"I know,Samantha told me."

It was silence again.

"I had my first drink when I was 13." He again started but stopped abruptly as if cursing himself for his choice of topic.

"I had my first guitar gifted to me when I was 13."

He looked at me in surprise as if he was half expecting that I wouldn't reply.

"I had my first job when I was 18." He again started.

"I had my first fracture when I was 18." I went along with the flow.

"I brought my first bike when I was 20"

"I had my first underwater dive when I was 20"

"I wanted to become a doctor." He said; astonishing me.

"I wanted to become a singer."

"I thought I should get to know you." He said, again changing the course of conversation abruptly and taking both of us by surprise.

"Maybe you should!" I said churlishly and was met with silence.

At the very moment Paige came out of the washroom effervescently. Somebody would think at three in the night she would be low on energy but Paige was never tired.

"Catherine" She came and gave me a tight hug. I returned her hug and patted her back.

"Paige, you can leave me now." I was not very fond of people expressing there affection to me in any form of human contact.

Paige reluctantly let me go. I had come to realise that she did it on purpose because she knew I disliked it.

"Goodnight Catherine, Sebastian." And with that she was gone.