Chapter 3: A Promise

I couldn't sleep. The thought that James was getting married didn't let me sleep. When I got his message it was pretty late to call him back. I knew we weren't close but the least he could have done was not drop this news as a bomb on me.

I was angry at him because he never tried to mend our broken friendship but I was angrier that he took such a big decision without even informing me. Maybe I was acting unreasonable or maybe I wasn't that important in his life as I considered myself to be.

Next morning was Christmas Eve. I got up and dolled up before going to meet my grandmother. She was angry at me for coming home late last night.

"Come now, grann. I won't pull a stunt like I did last night. I am sorry."

"Just because today is Christmas Eve,you are forgiven."

We had a big brunch. She cooked all my favorite dishes. Samuel and Sasha(his girlfriend) had also joined us.

"When are you heading back to Mumbai?" Sasha asked.

"Day after tomorrow."

The brunch was filled with laughter and lot of funny banter between Sasha and Samuel. When we were eating the walnut brownie made by granny, my phone started to ring.

James was calling.

The mere thought of talking to James made me awkward. I received the call before he starts to think I am ignoring him on purpose.

"Hello."

"Hey."

There was silence on both the ends.

"I am getting married." James said.

"I read your message. Congratulations!"I said sarcastically.

"Catherine, I am sorry."

"What are you sorry for? You are sorry for informing me about your wedding so soon then you don't need to be." I said sarcastically.

"Catherine.."

"Maybe you are sorry for all those years when you thought I was the reason your mom was sick. I don't care what you are sorry about anymore, James. I wish you all the very best. Have a happy married life."
After that I hung up the call.

When I am angry the only thing that cools me off is eating. I eat everything and anything that I get my hands on. While I was busy stuffing my mouth, I heard my grandmother ask Samuel;

"When are Sabastian and Samantha going to come?

"They are on their way."

"Who is Samantha?" I asked.

"She is a close friend of Sebastian. So I invited her as well." My grandmother answered.

Sebastian is the younger brother of Samuel and also the unfriendlier version of him.

I heard my phone ringing. It was James once again. When he understood that I won't be answering him anytime soon, he messaged me.

James: I am sorry. Please, answer my call.

Some years ago, during our college vacations; I was going to meet James one afternoon because I had not seen him since our vacations had started and his phone had been unreachable.

When I reached his house, I saw Mrs. Mathew vomiting out blood. That was a frightening sight and I still get chills when I think about the situation I had found her in that day. I immediately rushed to her side and called for help. James's aunt and his dad came running to help and gave her the necessary treatment. It felt like for them this was a daily occurrence.

I was shocked to say the least ;when she was better, I asked James's dad what was wrong with Mrs.Mathew that is when I got to know she was suffering from stomach cancer.

I was flabbergasted.

They explained me that James's was at his uncle's place and that he was unaware of Mrs.Mathew's condition. He knew she was sick but he didn't knew she didn't have much time and also that she was suffering from cancer. When the doctor had told them that their condition was deteriorating; they had forced James to visit his uncle's place in Pune giving some excuse as Mrs.Mathew didn't want James to know about her condition.

She requested me to not reveal anything to James.

A promise is what she asked for.

A promise, I was not willing to keep but seeing her condition;I gave in.

When her condition started deteriorating further; James started getting restless abour her mother's condition. He would often tell me about her deteriorating health and how helpless he is feeling. He was very close to his mother and seeing her in such a state was killing him.

So, I decided to request his parents to tell him the truth. My stars were definitely not with me the day I decided to speak on this matter with his parents. When I was on call with his parents; he heard me.

He was angry. Our friendship went down the hill that day. He wouldn't talk and he was certainly not ready to hear an explanation from me. I apologised for months. I felt guilty. I stood by him even when he didn't want me to be there with him.

Everything had it's limit; one day he got so angry during our argument that he blamed me for his mother's illness. He was angry that I had kept his mother's illness a secret. He thought that I didn't value our friendship. I had enough it and that day marked the end of our friendship.

I used to visit his mother and show my support. I thought after sometime James would come around but he didn't. He would always look at me with eyes of someone who has committed a crime.

I like to believe that by the Grace of God or by something powerful that exists beyond this Universe, Mrs.Mathew's condition improved. Over the time she stablised. Miracle was what happened.

After a year or so when things started falling back to their place, I thought James would try and talk things out but it never happened. I went to clear out the air in between us but he refused to talk to me about our rift.

It felt like we were strangers and thereafter things have never been the same. We meet when we absolutely have to. We wish each other on birthdays and special occasions but we never have been the same. Although we don't talk like we used to I like to think we hold importance in each others life or that is something I believe.

The door bell rang and that brought me out of my thoughts. I opened the door and there stood a girl with a very pleasant smile who was enthusiastic to get in and had a basket of cookies in her hand and a younger version of Samuel who had a expression which I couldn't really decipher.