5

“Hey... Liv... wake up.”

I opened my eyes and rubbed them.

“I made you breakfast.” My brother told me.

I sat up on the edge of the bed struggling to get my wits about me. I took the plate from his hand and put it down beside me.

“What's the matter? Not hungry?” He asked.

“Just trying to wake up a little.”

“After breakfast, I'm going to go pound the pavement. I can't live on trust fund money forever.”

“Plus, it's good to have that as a reserve.”

“I know. I'll find something.”

“I know you will. Stop into the bookstore when you're done, ok?”

“I will.”

We quietly ate breakfast, and he went on his job hunt. I got myself ready for the day and headed to work. I knew it would be a long day, so I dressed as comfortably as I could while still trying to look somewhat professional.

I had a pleasant drive in to work. Minimal traffic, sun shining, music blasting, it felt nice. I walked in to discover Frank and Josie just as cheerful as ever.

I guess that's why they have been able to stay in business all of these years. You couldn't meet 2 nicer people in this city. They were constantly smiling and so willing to help discover the perfect book for everyone.

“Good morning, Olivia.” Josie greeted me.

“Good morning. How are things here?”

“Just lovely. I think we will have an enjoyable day.”

“I know you will. Because I will watch the store for you while you and Frank take the time to relax.”

“Oh, Olivia. Are you sure?”

“Of course. I can handle it. I can have my brother bring me lunch and dinner. I'll be fine.”

“We would love that. Thank you.”

“Of course. I will see you tomorrow.”

I sent them away for the rest of the day. They needed the break. I could see how tired they were.

I pulled out my book and resumed my story. I finished the last hundred pages within the first 2 hours between customers. Not too many people showed up, just enough to keep me on my toes. Around noon, my brother came in with a bag.

“Hey. How's the search going?”

“It's going great. I put in a few applications.”

“That's great. Hopefully, you hear about something soon.”

“Yeah, hopefully. I brought us some lunch. Figured you could use it.”

“Those twin senses of yours must have been kicking in.”

“Even after all that time apart, they still work.”

“Good. Are they telling you that you may have to bring me dinner too?”

“Yes, they are. I gotcha covered.”

“You're the only one who ever does.”

“What about Riley?”

“She does, but it's not the same.”

“How so?”

“She's had me covered on all the girl stuff. But you have me covered in a protection sense.”