2

My brother, Connor, and I are twins. Moving here and leaving him was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. He was the one who made me finally leave home. He wanted me to chase my dreams as much as I needed to.

We were inseparable as kids. As babies, we couldn't sleep unless we were in the same crib. We could sense when the other was in trouble or hurting. We had to be strong for each other. We didn't have such a glorious start in life.

A drunk driver hit our parents when we were little. So, our grandparents raised us. We lived a great life with them. Honestly, since we were so little when they passed, we didn't have many memories of them.

We lost our grandfather when we were 18. About a year later, our grandmother. The doctors say it was her lungs, but I believe she died of a broken heart. Losing her soulmate of 50 years tore her apart.

When they passed, they left us each a very generous trust fund. It was the only reason I could afford my move to California. Now, I work in a little mom-and-pop bookstore in town while I wait for my big break. I work alone while the owners get some time away from the shop.

The owners are a lovely older couple, Josie and Frank, who have owned the book store for 28 years. They gave me a job when no one else would. They said that I reminded them of the daughter they lost. She died from ovarian cancer 15 years ago. She was their only child.

They are very supportive of my “acting career”. They believed in me more than I believed in myself. It was like my grandparents sent them to me from beyond the grave to take care of me. I couldn't ask for 2 better people to be my bosses.

I put in many hours in the shop. I read countless stories when there were lulls between customers. When I wasn't reading, I wasted my time daydreaming. I love my job. It's quiet, not too difficult, the customers are nice, it's a great gig.