Chapter 7: All or Nothing

Start from the beginning

. . . Standing there, pretty disturbed, I expect child abuse any second now. This really sounds like he'll beat us to death if we cheese him off.

"Today, you'll be competing in eight physical tests to gauge your potential. Whoever comes in last has none... and will be expelled immediately."

My eyes widen as I silently take in what he just said. Expelled!? Either he's wanting absolute potential to teach or he's just trying to lazily find a way to get his class to leave so he doesn't have to work.

"Expelled!?" Auxi exclaims. "As in kicked out??" She glances and whispers to Samae. "That is what that means, right?"

"Yes," Samae sighs.

"Like I said:" our teacher continues. "I get to decide how this class runs. Understand?" The way he says it sounds more like a threat than a challenge. "If that's a problem, you can head home right now."

"You can't send one of us home!" The first girl whines again. I wouldn't do that! "I mean, we just go here! Even if it wasn't the first day, that isn't fair!" It really sounds like she's not trying to defend herself but either everyone else as well or one specific classmate.

"Oh, and you think natural disasters are?" The whole class leans away, pretty shocked. "Or power-hungry villains? Or catastrophic accidents that wipe out entire cities? No. The world is full of unfairness. It's a hero's job to try and combat that unfairness."

That is surprisingly specific. Almost makes me wonder if this guy has had a depressing history or something.

"If you wanna be a pro, you're gonna have to push yourself to the brink," he continues. "For the next three years, UA will throw one terrible hardship after another at you. So go beyond, plus ultra style." He brought out the school motto. What seemed at first like a threatening warning has turned into a somewhat speech of motivation. He beckons we take on his challenge. "Show me it's no mistake that you're here."

I lower my gaze that's still upon our tutor as if to show that I accept. I hear Tojuta sheepishly groan next to me before he steps up, completely nervous.

"Now then, we're just wasting time by talking. Let the games begin."

Our first test is the 50m dash. Groups of two are formed among the twenty-four of us. I'm paired against Samae, and Tojuta's against Auxi. I try to find ways to apply my quirk in the best possibilities I can think of throughout the tests. I wait for my turn as I watch each of my classmates compete. The walking rule book has insanely high speed. Makes sense though. It's like he's got motors on his calves. Iida soars over the finish, followed by the tongue girl, hopping down the lane like a frog. It seems like some of the students here don't have quirks that'll help them here. Not only Tojuta's as far as I know, but quite a few others as well. I observe the other students' performances as well. The ones that caught my eyes were some French blonde's and Bakugo's, who used his explosions to propel himself all the way down.

I trudge up to the start and take my position. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Samae flash his spiky, white teeth. I don't know if he's planning something, but I got something of my own. As soon as the word is given, I quickly bring up a couple of my flames to allow myself to slightly hover across the lane. After I pass the line, I jolt to a stop and watch Samae follow behind. His feet keep slightly sinking into the ground over his morning shadow for every step he takes. Not quite sure what his quirk is exactly.

There's not really anything exciting in Tojuta's match. Like a few of the others, his quirk doesn't match up with the test. At the same time though, Auxi doesn't either, so they're evenly matched. Tojuta's slightly faster and comes in before Auxi. In the middle of catching her breath, she smiles and gives a thumbs up to him as if to politely admit defeat.