Chapter 32: Small Friendly Competition

A shrill whistle sounds about the campsite, breaking me from my trance. I tiredly open my eyes and glance around at the platform I'm still standing on. The sun is just touching the peaks of the mountains in the evening sky.

"Alright, that's enough for today!" Tiger roars at us. "Take a final breather then head back to the cabin for supper."

More than happy to follow his order, I lower my platform to the ground and sit down to catch my breath and wipe the sweat from my forehead. I don't know what exactly I busied my head about the entire time I've been up there, but one thing's for sure: despite the five minute breaks I got to take every hour, I am downright exhausted.

Mandalay walks by and hands me a water bottle. I gladly take it and break the cap as she continues on to pass the rest of them out to my classmates. I down gulp after gulp until I exhale after the first half is gone. I take a couple more seconds to jerk my shirt to fan myself before summoning my flames.

I give a hash mental command to pick me up to my feet, only to nearly throw myself off the platform and just stumble to my knees, throwing my water bottle. I guess I've been putting too much force in my levitation for so long, I've gotta settle down and take it slow.

I sigh at my bottle now on the ground and properly stand to grab it and follow my classmates as well as class B, who are already tiredly plodding back to the cabin as instructed. Tiger watches as we pass him and leave the field.

What I would give to just go back and turn in. However, the pain in my stomach reminds me of another need of the day: food. I've only eaten a few granola bars over my breaks, but none of it was satisfying enough to keep me going all the way in. I could honestly take a sandwich and be done, but it seems that the Pussycats have other complex plans.

My heart just about sinks when I arrive at the building and Mandalay directs us to the back where the pavilions are. There we find Pixiebob and the green cat, or "Ragdoll" according to Midoriya, standing behind a table with a large assortment of fresh ingredients.

"Now!" Pixiebob calls out, presenting the vegetables and boxes before them. "Remember what I said? We're not serving your food anymore!"

Ragdoll happily adds, waving her paws around. "If you guys wanna eat, you'll have to make your own meals! Starting with curry!"

Darn it. "Yes mam," we all groan, hanging our heads in tiredness and disappointment.

"Ahahahahaha!!" the green-haired cat giddily cackles again, prancing in place and pointing at us in sheer amusement. "Oh man, do you guys look exhausted! But that doesn't mean you can coast by making sloppy cat food!"

Iida looks up and puts a finger to his chin as if realizing something. "I see," he murmurs beside me. "An important part of saving someone recovering from a disaster is providing for their physical needs as well as spiritual. Ah! This is a great opportunity!"

"Seriously?" I sigh. "Tone down the education, will ya?"

He ignores me and turns to the rest of us. "Let's make the most delicious curry in the world, everyone!"

"Yeah, okay," we all groan, not at all thrilled about our class rep's agreement.

"Kendo," Iida calls. "As a fellow class representative, I suggest we divide the work among classes with class A manning the fire and class B preparing the ingredients."

"Yeah, sure," she tiredly agrees, not in the exact encouraging mood as Iida.

"Right! Class A, to the pavilions!"

It's a miracle I'm still even walking and following my class to the outdoor ovens. I'm still totally out of it, but by still going, I could get this over with, eat, and go to bed.