Nineteen

My parents had been home for almost three weeks now and since I started school about a month ago, this was the longest they had been home aside from Christmas holidays. It was unbelievable, to say the least. We spent a lot of time in those weeks that I barely saw Killian and the rest of our friends outside of school: my dad jumped on the opportunity to teach me how to drive and immediately signed me up for lessons.

Since I hadn't been able to spend some time with my friends, I was making up for that in school. Kristen and I were having lunch as usual on Thursday and I shared the beef sandwiches that Wren had made me with her. Nick had been avoiding me after the party and it was getting on my nerves. I wasn't particularly angry, I was just worried that he didn't want to be my friend anymore. 

I saw him at the parking lot on Tuesday with a certain dark-skinned guy which flooded my mind with memories of the party. I didn't go talk to them as they looked quite busy and honestly, I thought it would be weird to talk to him while he was kissing someone.

But I wondered if that was why he was avoiding me. I didn't get it, because there was no need to in my opinion. I didn't feel bad about seeing them so he shouldn't too. I just hoped he wasn't angry.

"Hey!" My eyes turned to Kristen who snapped her fingers on my face to get my attention. "Are you listening?"

"What?"

"Martin and I are planning an after party for the Halloween Dance next Saturday, you've got to be there!" She stated as she took a bite of the sandwich.

"Okay...?" I trailed. "I didn't know there was a Halloween dance."

"Yeah, it's a whole thing. Shaniqua's brother is in charge and we decided to help out. And by we, I mean all of us," she explained, emphasizing on the 'all'.

"Including me?"

"Duh!" She roiled her eyes and chuckled.

"What will I do?"

"I don't know, whatever you're good at," she chuckled. "We can have a meeting this evening and discuss it. They've already come up with a theme so we won't do a lot of brainstorming."

I nodded in understanding until a thought occurred to me. "Why doesn't Martin sit with us?" I asked her. Since Kristen told me that the South Korean boy was her boyfriend, I found it strange that he always chose to sit next to Killian and Chris.

"He doesn't want to make Chris jealous, which is bullshit in my opinion. The guy doesn't even know we're dating," she said, looking sideways as she sipped her drink.

"How come he doesn't know, and why would he be jealous?"

Kristen sighed. "Chris and I...we kind of hooked up in sophomore year...it wasn't even like a hookup," she exclaimed as she rubbed her temples. I didn't say anything and allowed her to continue. "Actually, in the summer before sophomore year, we became close because his dad died and I guess he thought it meant I liked him or something. We went on our usual walk when school started and he kissed me. Granted, it was a good kiss, but I didn't like him like that," she finished with a sigh.

"What happened next?" I asked as I looked at the boy in question who sat with Killian and Martin and some other guys. He was busy talking to them about something. Hearing that his dad had died made me feel sorry for him.