Twenty Seven

"You're letting me have the party?" I questioned my parents on Thursday night, curious at how easily they agreed to this knowing that almost everyone from school would now be aware of me being their son if they weren't already.

My mom glanced at my father with a small smile. "Yes. Think of it as a gift to you for how down you've been since Killian left last night. If this is what will cheer you up, we don't mind."

I was surprised. When Kristen and I mentioned it to them last night, they seemed upset. Mostly because I had already planned it before telling them but once we assured them that we'd make sure nothing goes out of hand, they relaxed a bit. Still, I didn't think they'd actually let me throw a party at our house.

"We won't be here for it so you and Kristen should send us updates every hour," my father insisted. "In any case, the workers are on stand by to ensure you're all safe," he grumbled. I would have chuckled if I wasn't already feeling pretty bad about myself.

While I was given the okay to go ahead with the party, I still wasn't feeling it, not even on the day of the party. I stayed in bed as soon as I got home from school and left the arrangements to Angela and Wren. If I had my way, I'd not host it anymore but I knew Kristen would be devastated if I canceled on her. I couldn't do that to someone I considered my best friend.

"Are you gonna come down for your party?" I heard Wren's voice ask from the doorway of my room and I groaned. Surely he didn't really think I wanted to go now, did he?

I wasn't ready to leave my bed yet, let alone meet all the people who had come for the party. My mind was still on Killian and why he wouldn't answer any of my texts or even pay any attention to me. I had expected to see him in school but according to Nick, that wasn't going to happen soon until he had got over what I'd done.

Well, if he just let me explain and apologize, things would surely move faster, wouldn't they? But even as I thought about that, I couldn't help but groan at how selfish I was being. If Killian needed time, I had to give it to him, I thought as I turned to lie on my back, finally opening my eyes to see Wren watching me closely.

"Are you okay?" He asked and I shook my head. There was no sugarcoating it. I wasn't okay. But I didn't want to talk to Wren about that.

"Are my parents gone?"

He nodded and I sighed.

"You'd have to come down sooner or later, or everyone's gonna have to leave. I'm sure Kristen would be devastated," Wren pointed out.

Wow, Wren, I thought. As if I didn't feel guilty already. I knew I couldn't stay in bed the whole night. No matter how much I wanted to, I knew I couldn't lie in bed all night as the party started, so after about a minute of talking myself out of sleeping, I managed to get up from bed and headed downstairs to greet my friends. According to Wren, all of them had arrived; Kristen, Martin, Nick and Marlon, and by the looks of it, other kids has arrived as well.

I walked to them as I glanced at the party decorations and set up. Angela really went out with the led lights and I was grateful for that. If I was being honest, without Angela, Wren and the party planners who did everything on such short notice, the party would have been a busy.

"Oh finally!" Kristen exclaimed when she saw me and pulled me into a tight hug. "I heard about Killian," she whispered. "I'm so sorry."

"It's okay," I responded because there wasn't much else I could say without balling my eyes out.

"I'm sure he'll come around soon," she said hopefully. I wanted to believe her, I really did. But nothing that had happened so far proved Killian wanted to hear me out. He didn't even Killian want to pick up my calls, let alone listen to what I had to say. Not knowing what else to do, I just nodded and smiled, trying to at least look enthusiastic about the party as I pulled away from her to see the others.