Twelve

"Come on!" Shouted Killian as he ran back towards me. I had been staring at his back as he walked away, a bit surprised at his sullen mood, which was why he was gone farther than me. I didn't even notice that my hand had slipped from his.

"Sorry," I apologized as he held my right hand gently in his left, leading me towards the stairs.

"Don't worry about it," he replied, making me nod as he led me to his car. The same red 300sl Roadster that he picked me up in on the second day I was at school.

"Are we going home?" I wondered, because if he was driving me home, I could actually tell him the truth.

"Not yet, I want to take you somewhere first," he answered.

Or not. I guessed I could tell him later. But there was a nagging thought at the back of my mind that I should tell him now. This was actually a very good opportunity for me to say it, or even invite him over. I had invited Kristen over before, so why not Killian?

But now was not the time. He wanted to take me somewhere? I realized this was why he asked me to see him after we closed.

"Where are we going?"

Killian just chuckled as he opened the passenger door for me, making heat creep up to my cheeks. Wasn't this what guys did for girls they liked? Did that mean that Killian liked me? But...

I didn't have time to brood on those thoughts however because Killian replied then, saying, "you'll see".

So it was supposed to be a surprise? I wondered how that would go. I had never really had surprises before. Even before this chapter of my life began, everything I did was planned beforehand. I don't mean that in a rigorous way though. It was just that I knew what was going to happen and when it was to occur. Trips were planned. My parents always told me if they were planning on traveling, and especially when I was to accompany them.

So this, was well... a surprise. We drove for about ten minutes, turning a few times before Killian parked infringement of a rundown apartment building. Turning off the engine, he got out of the car and gestured me to do so as well. I took a look at the building and it's surroundings, frowning and scrunching up my nose at how dirty it looked. They'll building hadn't been painted in years, it seemed, and was quite close to deterioration.

"Is this where we're going?" I asked worriedly. I wasn't sure if I'd like to enter the building, or well, any of the others on the street. They all looked the same.

"No," Killian said as he looked at me, his lips curving into a smirk. This made me raise a brow at him. Shaking his head, he said, "we're just leaving the car here for a while. We'll take the bus".

"The bus?" I nearly shouted. What did he mean by 'we'll take the bus?'

My first and last experience on the public bus had been the most terrifying moment of my life. I was thirteen years old at the time and had just gone out of town with Angela to her boyfriend's place. On our way back, her car broke down and we had to take the bus, instead of an Uber because Angela apparently had no money. I think she just wanted to punish me for being such a pain. And punish me she did!

The things I saw! I'd rather not say but I used to believe those could only happen on the subway in New York City, which, I had also vowed never to take again.

"Don't look so worried, it's not that bad," Killian chuckled.

"Not that bad?" I scoffed, rolling my eyes and I placed a hand on my hip. "Do you take it often?"

I'm not willing to try it, I just want to know if he really thinks it's not that bad.

"Of course, when I need to go to where we're going. Come on, it'll be here soon," he said and started jogging towards the bus stop.