Thirty Six

"I'm going back home," Killian said to me after school on Friday just as we were walking out of the building. 

I stopped in my tracks and whirled around to him with narrowed eyes. Just what did he mean by that? We had spent the entire week together since he got better. For three days now, Killian had stayed with me at home and we had had fun so much but all of a sudden he wanted to go home? Did I do something?

"What?" Maybe I didn't hear him right. As much as I wanted to believe that, I knew it just wasn't going to happen when Killian pushed me slightly against the wall next to the school gates and cupped my face. He tilted my head up slightly so my eyes met his and smiled softly.

"I have to, Dyl," he whispered as he leaned down. Our faces were merely inches apart and all I wanted to was press my lips to his.

"Why?" I hated whining like a petulant child but I couldn't help it in this case. Why did Killian have to go back? I wanted him home with me. I needed him there with me. I did not want him to go back to his apartment. And it wasn't just because I wanted him to stay.

While I liked having him home with me, hell... I absolutely loved having him there, but there was also the added danger that lurked around his old apartment. Those guys who hurt him were still out there!

"Because I still have stuff there," Killian said as he leaned away slightly, his hands falling to his sides.

"What if they threw them out?" I asked. "You said the apartment belonged to those guys." I saw no reason for him to go back. Whatever he had there could be bought again.

"They haven't," he answered with a deadpan tone.

"How do you know?"

"Chris talked to them," he stated and turned away from me, making me narrow my eyes.

"Chris? The one who got you into that mess in the first place?" I asked loudly as I placed my hands on his shoulder and turned him to face me. I couldn't believe he was still talking to that guy.

"Okay, first of all, he didn't get me into that mess!" Killian exclaimed, his light brown eyes darkening as he spoke. "Everything I did was because of me. Chris only suggested dealing to me. I made the choice myself, he never forced me," he explained with a stern and unwavering voice.

Still, I shook my head. I refused to believe that Killian chose to deal drugs just for the hell of it. "You were in an impossible situation, that wasn't your fault."

"That may be true and all but I had options. I could have chosen to get a different job after the hardware store closed, but I didn't," said Killian. "That's on me so I'd appreciate it if you stopped hating my friend for something he didn't do!"

I bit my lip as I felt my eyes sing with tears. I wasn't going to cry, no. I just felt angry that he wanted to be around the life I thought he was leaving behind. I didn't want to argue with him either. I rubbed my face and sighed as I followed him down to the parking lot.

"Are you still gonna live there?" I asked him after a moment of silence.

Killian shook his head. "Nope, I'm just getting my stuff," he stated, making me frown. "I already found a place."

"Where?"

Killian licked his lips and looked away from me as a hint of redness appeared on his face.

"I'm not gonna like it, am I?" I asked, already feeling anger rise within me at what his answer was going to be. "You're going to live with Chris," I concluded, knowing there wasn't any other answer apart from that. "Is that even a good idea?"

Killian shrugged. "I know you don't like my choices but I don't really have a lot of those right now, Dyl. I'm just trying to live," he groaned as his head fell to my shoulder. I immediately wrapped my arms around him. I could feel the frustration laced in his voice. I hated to see him like this, lost and unsure of himself.