Chapter 7

Chapter 7

 The next week was busy for Jakob. He spent every waking moment trying to figure out what to bring to his new home. His mother and August had gone to pick out some furniture, while he and his father went through some of his junk.

Thomas chuckled as he pulled out an old trophy, “I remember when you won this. It was the first baseball game you ever played. Oh you were so nervous, you were only first grade and you kept going on and on about what would happen if the ball hit you. You stepped out on that plate; the coach threw the ball, and pow! You hit your first homerun.” Thomas’s face lit up as he recounted the memory.

Jakob smiled lightly and picked up the trophy from the floor. That season was the first of many for him. It led to being the star baseball player on the high school team, and a college career. If only he had been more serious about it, instead he spent most of his college days drinking and partying. Jakob shook his head and moved onto the next item.

“Oh Jake,” Thomas pulled out an old teddy bear, “You still have George?”

Jakob’s eyes widened as he took in the sight of his old friend. Patches of fur were missing from where he had held it tightly all those stormy nights, one of his black beady eyes has been sewn on multiple times, and he had a red stain around his mouth from the time August had gotten into their mothers lipstick. Despite all the imperfections, Jakob still loved that Teddy bear. He had lost it after high school, and had always figured his mother had thrown it away, or August had stolen it as a joke.

Thomas started laughing and Jakob soon joined in, “I thought I had lost him. I guess he was right here the whole time.”

“Just like someone else, maybe?” Thomas suggested as he looked at his confused son.

Jakob tilted his head to the side, “What do you mean?”

Thomas smiled, “Rachel has been there for you the whole time. She is still there for you; I think you should try calling her.”

Jakob sighed and leaned against his knees, “I texted her already and I heard no response, she told me she never wanted to speak to me again.”

“Son, if there is one thing I have learned in the twenty five years I have been married to your mother it is that when women get mad they sometimes say things that they don’t necessarily mean. When she said she never wanted to speak to you again she most likely meant ‘please, just give me some space so I can think things over.’ If you want to make things up with her I suggest going to her in person.”

Jakob laughed humorlessly, “Gosh, you would think we were dating or something.”

Thomas sported a serious face as he studied his sons light brown eyes, “Have you ever thought about dating Rachel?”

Jakob raised an eyebrow and grinned, “Rachel? No way! She is like a little sister to me, I have never ever thought about her romantically.” He scoffed.

Thomas shrugged as he pulled himself off of the hard floor, “Never say Never Son, God always has other plans.”

Jakob narrowed his eyes and picked up George from the floor, “Never say never,” He muttered to himself, “Rachel as a girlfriend? My dad has officially lost it.” He turned George over in his hand and grinned, “I am talking to a teddy bear. Maybe I am the one who has officially lost it.”

A loud knock sounded on his door and Jakob quickly threw George across the room.  “Come in!” he called out.

August bursted into the room with a large grin on his face, “So we were invited to hang out with the Haynes for New Years Eve, which means you will get your chance to apologize to Rachel.”