Chapter 12

Chapter 12

“Rachel,” Janette stood over Rachel and gently shook her shoulders. She hated to wake her up, but Jason was to come in at any moment to access her one last time. It was the moment of truth to see if she could truly be released or not. As nice as it was to have Doctors and nurses there all the time Janette was still eager to get Rachel home and continue on with their new lifestyle.

  Rachel stirred and swatted at Janette’s hand, “Go away,” she moaned into her pillow.

“Come on Rachel, Doctor Liddell will be here any moment to access you.”

Rachel sat up and stretched out her arms, “Do you mind fixing my hair? I don’t want to walk out of this hospital with a rats nest.” She let out a deep yawn.

Janette smiled and reached into the newly packed bag to retrieve a hairbrush. She reached over and combed through Rachel’s tangled hair.

Rachel hissed as the brush hit a stubborn knot. “Sorry Hun, but I have to get the knots out.”

Rachel reached behind her head and grabbed the brush out of her Mother’s hand, “I want to try to brush it, I may not be able to see what I am doing but I have to start somewhere I guess.” She sighed and used her free hand to pick up a lock of hair; she took her brush and ran it messily over her hair. She exhaled loudly; brushing hair was a lot harder when you couldn’t see.  She had a feeling everything would be a lot harder.

A knock sounded on the hospital room door, “Hey Rachel, how are we doing this morning?” Jason asked as he walked in.

Rachel placed her brush in her lap and turned her head towards the sound of his voice. “I am doing as well as I can be.”

Jason walked over and grabbed her hand, “I just want you to know you are one of my strongest patients. I want to ask permission to share your story with my wife and brother in law; I think they would really appreciate it.”

Rachel smiled and nodded her head, “I would be more than happy for you to share my story.”

Jason looked up at Janette and smiled, “Okay then, let’s work on releasing you.” He winked; his green eyes shining.

Jason looked over Rachel and checked on the healing of her ribs. After announcing she was well they were released from the hospital. Janette walked Rachel to the car and helped her get settled in the seat before driving home. Rachel rested her head on the window and sighed. She would never be able to drive again. She would never be able to feel the wheel beneath her hands or see the beautiful scenery. She shook her head to herself. All she had been doing was thinking of all the things she would never be able to do again. Maybe she should try thinking of all the things she would be able to do? She smiled and thought about it.

  What would she be able to do? Rachel thought over it and came to the realization there really was nothing she could do. Nothing that she once loved to do.

Tears were beginning to well up in her eyes and she was more than grateful; when she felt the car come to a complete stop; the comfort of her room was very much so needed.

Janette walked over to Rachel side and slowly opened the door for her, “Okay Honey, I am going to give you my arm and we will walk up to your room.” Rachel felt the weight of her mother’s arm underneath hers and she pulled herself out of the car.

Her ribs throbbed from the light movement, but she continued on.  They walked slowly together; her mother leading her around the various furniture and decorative pieces. Rachel took a step forward and felt her foot come in contact with a hard item. She gasped and pulled her foot back quickly.