Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Sunday morning came quickly. Rachel and Janette had their special Sunday pumpkin pancakes and headed off to church.

Rachel walked into the church to be greeted by August.

"Hey Ray!" He said; throwing his arm around her shoulder.

Rachel gave him a warm smile and scanned the foyer.

August sighed and shook his head. "He is not here Ray; he went out with some friends again last night." Rachel did the same thing every week. She scanned the church in hopes that Jakob would miraculously show up; he never did. He hadn't for the last four years, but that didn't faze her. She still invited him every week, and still looked for him. Rachel's faith amazed August. He hoped that one day he would have the amount of faith that she had.

Rachel's shoulders slumped, "I know, it doesn't hurt to look right? You never know when God will decide to open Jake's eyes."

August nodded in agreement as a pair of arms wrapped around his waist.

"Guess who?" A sweet familiar voice asked.

August chuckled and removed her arms bringing her face to face with him, "Hmm? My guess is Samantha,"

Samantha giggled and tossed her dark curls over her shoulder, "You cheated, that doesn't count."

August chuckled and grabbed her hand in his own, "Whatever you say, honey."

Rachel smiled at the couple and inwardly sighed. When would she be able to have a relationship like there's? One that centered on God and not themselves. They both loved each other, but they loved God even more. That was what Rachel desired in a relationship.

"Hey Rachel!" Samantha called out; just now noticing Rachel was standing there.

Rachel gave Samantha a hug before they shuffled their way into the sanctuary.

The church service went by quickly, and soon everyone made their way out to go enjoy a quiet lunch at home.

Rachel walked alongside of Samantha and August and discussed the sermon.

"So what Pastor James was saying is that God calls us to pray for our enemies?" Samantha asked as she held tightly onto August's hand.

August nodded and smiled, "That's correct. You know a certain verse that came to mind when he was preaching. It was Matthew 5:44"

"But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you," Rachel recited from memory.

August looked at her and nodded, "Yeah, that is a verse I am constantly having to go back to in life"

Rachel laughed loudly, "I agree, I really struggle with loving my enemies."

"I think we all do," August added, "As human beings we are naturally selfish, we have trouble thinking of others, not to mention our enemies."

Rachel stood against the door of her truck and nodded thoughtfully, "The best way we can love others is to pray for them. That's how we can love our enemies."

The three of them discussed the subject a little more before Samantha was called to return to her family. August hopped into the car with Rachel and the two headed to the Holt's house for their weekly Sunday lunch.

"So Jakob came in late yesterday, and he didn't have his truck. I had to take him to go pick it up, which means he had to have gotten a ride home from somebody. He wouldn't tell me who it was but I have an odd feeling you had something to do with it." August searched Rachel's face for any sign of emotion.