Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Rachel jumped at the sound of a glass dropping. “Mother?” she yelled out frantically.

Janette rushed over to her side and placed a calm hand on her shoulder, “its okay Honey it’s just me.”

Rachel laid back down suddenly reassured by the sound of her mother’s voice.

Janette stood over and smiled lightly, “I am sorry Honey I didn’t mean to wake you. I was just trying to get dinner going.”

Rachel smiled, “its okay, I probably needed to get up anyway.” She shifted over on the couch and stretched her sore arms out.

Janette patted her shoulder sweetly, “Do you need help with anything?”

Rachel sighed and shook her head; reassuring her mother that she had everything under control. Thoughts from that afternoon filled her mind hastily. She inwardly groaned and tried to dismiss them. She had more than enough things on her mind and the last thing she needed was to meditate on her and Jakobs latest argument.

“What’s for dinner? She asked; searching for an opportunity to wipe the memory from her mind.

“Well, I was thinking of making eggplant parmesan. How does that sound?” Janette called from the kitchen.

Rachel’s stomach rumbled loudly and she smiled giddily, “That sounds absolutely amazing!”

“Well good. Hey Samantha called earlier and I told her I would have you call her back as soon as you felt up to it, do you feel like talking on the phone?”

Rachel nodded, “I am in need of some girl talk.” Janette fetched her the phone and dialed Samantha’s number. She led Rachel to the office and left her to soak in some much needed girl time.

                                                                             ♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

Jakob pressed the ignore button on his phone for the fifth time that night. Between August and his buddies he was beyond ready to just throw his phone across the room. He still was feeling sick from that afternoon. Nothing was helping the sinking, empty feeling in his stomach. He had already downed the beer that was leftover in his fridge and he had eaten two hamburgers, the only thing they did was make him feel even sicker.

“Maybe I am fighting something,” he said aloud to himself as he leaned back into his couch.  He groaned, “For goodness sake this is so annoying, the only reason I feel this way is because I snapped at Rachel.”

He rolled his eyes and looked down as his phone rang yet again. He sighed and picked it up, “Yes?” he answered in an irritated tone.

“Well hello to you too,” August said sarcastically from the other line, “Why weren’t you answering your phone? Are you okay?”

“I am fine.” Jakob stared at his free hand; he had hoped August had forgotten about his little freak out earlier.

“Are you sure? I mean Jake you looked like you were about to either pass out of throw up earlier.”  Guess he hadn’t forgotten.

“Oh yeah that. I was just thirsty or something I guess.”

“Are you sure it didn’t have anything to do with Rachel and your little argument?”

Jakob didn’t answer. How his little brother knew him so well never ceased to surprise him.

“That’s what I thought,” August said knowingly, “Dude, just apologize or something?”