Ch. 11 - Suspicions

Start from the beginning

"Okay."

You walked to the door and turned back, hesitating for a brief second. "See you later."

"This is so cool," Amy squealed as she climbed in the back of the car.

You grinned. "Glad to know it's not too much. And you remember Jin, right?"

"Yeah! Didn't we dance together at the wedding?"

"That's right. Still as lovely as ever, I see."

She smiled. "And you're still a flirt. Nice to see you again."

Jin dropped you off at a clothing store. You got out and stood by his window for a minute. "You can come shopping with us, Jin. We won't bite."

He smirked. "I'm fine waiting, I've told you that. Go have fun and I'll come with you next time."

"All right."

You followed Amy into the store. She glanced at you with a raised eyebrow. "Does having a personal driver make things any easier for you?"

"It's nice not to have to buy gas," you admitted. "And Jin's sweet, he's been a big help since the honeymoon disaster. Oh, that reminds me!" You fished a keychain out of your bag.

"This for you. To say thanks for sticking with me through this."

She scoffed. "You do not need to thank me for that. I'm glad I could be there. But this is cute!" She quickly clipped the trinket onto her bag and you smiled.

Amy had been your best friend for several years. She was the only one of your wedding party that knew the situation that you were in. And while she didn't have much personal experience in the marriage department, she tried to cheer you up about it in any way she could. And you appreciated that.

"So," she said, getting down to business, "are we here to talk or shop? What do you need from me?"

Amy always did have a sharp mind to go with her looks.

"I heard from a couple of Yoongi's friends that his parents have expensive charity balls. I figured I should find a few things to wear now so I don't make a fool out of myself."

"Okay, I can work with that." She turned, making her way to a dress store. "I'm almost scared to ask, but couldn't he help you with this?"

You sighed. "I need a break from him right now. Marriage is hard." She nodded quietly, perusing through the racks of dresses.

"Can I ask one more thing before we drop the subject then?" She glanced around and leaned over the top of the rack. "What's he like?"

"Ailee, what kind of question is that?" you frowned, using your old nickname for her. 

"A good one! Don't hold out on me, you've been together for almost a month already. So, what's he really like under all the money and mystery?"

"I...don't know," you admitted. "I think we've spent more time avoiding each other than being in the same room together. I couldn't even tell you his favorite color."

She hummed thoughtfully. "I wonder why."

"It's obvious, isn't it? He's trying to take my company--"

"No, no, (N/N). I know why you wouldn't want to be around him. But why wouldn't he want to be around you? You're sweet, fun, and smart as a whip. And hot, he'd be lucky to have you. He is lucky to have you!"

She started grabbing hangers left and right.

"Ailee, what are you doing?"

"We're going to find the perfect outfit to remind that husband of yours exactly who he married. And how lucky he is to be with you, not the other way around."

You grinned. There was a reason that you wanted to hang out with Ailee today. She always knew how to support you.

Yoongi was in the middle of a well-deserved nap when someone knocked. He irritably rolled off the couch and went to answer the door.

"Yes?" he grumbled, wincing at the harsh sunlight outside.

"And here I was hoping you were taking work seriously," his father's voice replied. Yoongi stepped back slightly to let his parents in, immediately regretting the decision.

"I am," he shot back. "Weekends are for me to catch up on sleep."

Mr. Min glanced around. "And where's your wife? Not sleeping with you?"

"She went out with Jin to do some shopping."

"Shopping for what?" Mrs. Min spoke up as she turned around from admiring a painting. "It's not like she had much to begin with, I can't imagine what she needs now."

"Now, dear, she's got more money at her disposal now. It's only natural she'd want to go out and spend it," Mr. Min added.

Yoongi pinched the bridge of his nose. "Did you two stop by for something? Other than insulting us?"

"We wanted to make sure that you're prepared for this shareholder's meeting. You know there will be a presentation?"

"Yes. I'll have to inform the shareholders of any major deviations in the proposed growth plan Mr. (L/N) drew up before he stepped down. And report on ongoing and potential new initiatives to keep the growth as high as possible."

Mr. Min raised his eyebrows. "Well, well. I must say, I'm impressed."

"Okay, great. So now that you know I'm prepared--"

"Not so fast, Yoongi. We're also here to make sure that you know who else will be attending."

"Other shareholders with the company."

"That's right. Friends and business partners of both the (L/N)'s and ourselves. So you had better be on your best behavior. You will be polite and courteous. You will answer all of their questions. You will not embarrass us. And most importantly, you will wipe that scowl off your face. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, sir."

"Good. And we want to host a dinner party here."

"H-here?" he repeated. "When?"

"A few weeks or so. The (L/N)'s have already told your wife, I'm sure. And it goes without saying that we expect the same behavior there."

"Is this the dining room?" Mrs. Min suddenly asked, fiddling with the handle of the closet. 

Yoongi walked over, opening the door so she could see it. "It's just a storage closet, Mom. (Y/N)'s been putting some of her wedding stuff in here until we can find a place for it."

"Why do you have all that equipment in there, then?"

"We're renovating it to make an office in case one of us has to work from home or needs access to the system from here." He gently took her arm and turned her back towards the kitchen. "The dining room is this way."

After giving it an inspection, she nodded to herself. "This will work. I'll have to get someone to cater, and figure out place settings, and--"

"We can settle those things later, dear. Did you need anything else while we were here?"

Yoongi's mother sighed. "No. I suppose I can come back to look around the upstairs. It's probably a mess anyway."

"It is," Yoongi agreed, slowly urging them towards the door. "(Y/N) would be so embarrassed if you saw it like that. I'll make sure we get it cleaned up before the dinner party."

"Good. And make sure that piano is performance ready, won't you?"

"Yes, I will."

"We'll see you soon, then. Bye, dear."

"Talk soon."

Yoongi shut the door and locked it with a heavy sigh. That was close.