Chapter 65

Sooyoung works to organize the remainder of her luggage. On the phone, her manager double checks to see if she's ready for tomorrow's flight.

"You feeling okay? Don't get nervous. If you want to succeed there, there should be nothing else on your mind. Leave this place without any regrets. You realize you won't be able to go if there's even one thing holding you back, right? Your mind has to leave with your body."

Sooyoung nods in agreement. "...okay, got it. I'll call you in the afternoon when I arrive to the airport."

"Okay, rest up!"

As the call disconnects, Sooyoung laid in bed wondering— can I leave this place without any regrets? Rolling to her side, she pulls open her night stand drawer. She reaches in and takes out her personal cellphone that she had kept locked away for these past few days. She sighs as she uses her fingertips to trace over the light charm accessory.

--

That night, Sooyoung had trouble sleeping. Hence why she decided to go there. Venture to his apartment one last time. She wanted to sever ties with Sungjae once and for all before departing for Italy.

Sungjae. She rests a hand on his front door with a bittersweet smile etched on her face.

I...leave tomorrow. Sorry for parting without a word. Even if I can't feel you. Even if I can't look at you. I really wanted to say farewell.

Sungjae, please take care. Don't be sick. Don't skip meals.

I will leave with you all our precious memories. I feel like that's the only way I can leave.

Sungjae, the truth is...I wish I could see you just once.

By some chance...I wish you would open this door and walk out.

I wish you could hold me tight and tell me not to go.

I'm sorry for thinking things like this...

When I know full well I shouldn't. When I know full well there's no point.

--

It starts downpouring as Sooyoung stood fixed outside. Meanwhile, inside his apartment, in the pitch-dark, Sungjae sits on the floor leaning against his empty fish tank. Magazines filled with Sooyoung's pictures scattered all over the ground. In his hands, he held onto the page with her most recent interview. His grip around the paper tightens as he scans over a particular Q&A portion:

Q: "Miss. Park, I hear you are in a relationship right now. How's that going?"

A: "It feels like my heart is full. Just having him by my side gives me strength and I feel like I can do no wrong. But well, you see...there is something I haven't been able to tell him yet. I hope that he will accept and understand when someday I confess everything. And I don't think I've ever said it properly before now, but I love him."

Hanging his head back against the tank's cold glass. He groans. Sooyoung. I understand it all now and I can accept everything. So...

So please come back.

With both hands, he covers the entirety of his face. But then a sudden touch causes him to flinch. He gazes up to find her. Well, an illusion of her. "Oh dear, look at this mess." Sooyoung commented, "Sungjae, why's your room like this? Is it a mess because I'm not here?"

"...Sooyoung?" He stared with wide eyes.

"Hi. I'm here." She gives him a small smile. Although, she disappeared in an instant, he gawks at what's in front of him. Situated on his desk, the phone charm illuminates the room.