[24] THE YEAR, 1989

Start from the beginning

She begins to replay good memories. The day Gretta tripped her and she first met the boys, the day at the quarry, giving them their friendship bracelets and their bright smiles. She even replayed memories from last summer when her and her family visited her grandparents in Greece, the days under the sun and constant swimming with her cousins.

It took a long time, constantly flashing back each memory and feeling in her mind before she finally felt her eyes go heavy, begging for sleep and she didn't fight it because she complied, thankful that she'd finally have peace of mind.

The next morning came quick, April waking up to the sound of birds chirping outside her bedroom window. She wasn't ever sure where the noise was coming from, just that they always woke her up and when they did, it made her feel as if she was some type of Disney princess.

She went through her daily routine, slipping into a white sundress and brushing through her hair before she found herself clambering down the stairs and into the living room. Her and Bill hadn't made any plans for the day so it left her bored. Her mind pondering what she could do. It was as if she forgot what she used to do with herself, back when she was so used to being alone.

She didn't have much of an appetite so she settled to sitting on the living room sofa and switching on the television as she glanced at the clock which was hung up near the foyer. It was eight in the morning and she felt as if it was far too early to be watching television! She'd always been an awfully early riser. Puckering her lips as she shakes her head, she switches from the weather channel to a network which was playing an episode of 'Full House'.

She stayed there for awhile, watching the show lamely as she begins to hear her family wake up. It was the weekend so her dad didn't have to go in to work and she felt somewhat relieved at that considering she felt as if she hadn't seen her dad in ages. She was lost in thought, her eyes glasses over as they stare at the television — not even paying attention to it.

Lost in thought that is, until she saw that. Three cockroaches crawling on the side of the television. It made her eyes widen, feeling her throat tighten and it wasn't in fear of the bugs anymore. It was because she knew why they were there. IT.

Her breath hitches as she watched them crawl about the screen now before she's finally able to rip her eyes away and look down to the coffee table, hoping to find relief and be able to blink away the illusion IT was creating for her.

It was as if her heart was beating out of her chest and into her throat as she swallows harshly, her eyes widening again as she watches dozens of the same bug crawl across the bare coffee table. She instantly lifts her legs onto the couch, lifting them to her chest and wrapping her arms around them.

She clenches her eyes shut, cradling her body back and fourth as her lip quivers. "It's not real, it's not real, it's not real. Nothing is there," She whispers to herself over and over — attempting to sway herself away from the fear she was feeling.

It was getting worse as she begins to realize IT was here. IT was targeting her now and she didn't know what to do. She was alone with no Losers. She didn't have anyone to protect her and no matter how many times she numbered that it wasn't real, she couldn't believe it because she was so frightened.

The cockroaches weren't even the problem anymore it was what it reminded her of. That day where they spilled out of her hamper and onto her bedroom floor, the day she etched 'IT' into her skin. Everything was building up as she continued to rock back and fourth of the couch, her breathing heavy and shallow as tears begin to form in her eyes.