[24] THE YEAR, 1989

THE DAYS TURNED TO WEEKS AND THE WEEKS LED THEM INTO AUGUST. Not much changed after that, the same routine both April and Bill settled into after everything. They practically lived at each other's houses. Spending hours upon hours in one another's presence. The feeling of his heartbeat to her cheek becoming familiar, as if it was something that has always been there.

Sometimes, they found themselves in the Ambrose's living room watching movies from the VHS tape cabinet. Other times, they'd be lounged around in one of their bedrooms. Doing anything, doing everything. Bill's favourite moment being that time April had gotten a necklace stuck around her neck, unable to unclasp it. The thin chain slipping through her fingers repeatedly.

She had called for him so softly, he was across the room, on her bed reading a book while she stood in front of her mirror when her tiny voice filled his ears. "Billy, can you help me with this?". It was enough to make his heart melt. She looked so pretty all the time, it hurt.

He'd simply nod. "Y-Yeah, baby. What i-is it?" He asks, words slipping off his tongue smoothly and April couldn't help the dopey smile that formed at the new nickname. He placed his book down on her bed before seeing her looking to him, tugging at the necklace chain helplessly.

He laughs, coming up behind her, moving her hair to rest on one of her shoulders before plucking the necklace that sat on her neck into his fingers and carefully pulling the clasps apart, setting it down on her dresser before she turns around with a sweet smile, thanking him quietly. It made him lean down and kiss right against her hairline, his arms wrapping around her waist.

It was like when they were together nothing existed. Nothing at all. Nothing but them and their feelings. Good God, did these kids ever love each other... It was as if they were made for the other. They fit one another so well. Everything about her made Bill feel happy again and everyone knew how much he needed to. After everything that happened this year, he needed her most.

She had this way of making him feel better, especially during those times where the sadness become overwhelming. Eating up at his insides, making him feel empty and shattered and at fault for something he wasn't at fault for. During those times, he'd have hot tears staining his cheeks and trembling hands as he sputters out for his brother, wishing to God that he was still here.

It made April want to cry with him but she'd hold back for his sake, feeling as if that if he saw her falter it'd make things worse. She'd be strong for him when he needed her to. Just like he'd be strong for her when she needed it. She'd take him into her arms, running her hands through his hair, mumbling soft whispers into his ear until his shaking subsides. All of her words reassuring him that he's loved, that it wasn't his fault, and that Georgie doesn't blame him.

The closer the two of them became, as much as April loved it, she felt as if she was losing everyone else. She hadn't spoken to any of the other Losers since July and she felt a lump in her stomach at the thought of losing them. They were her first real friends. The first group of people who ever made her feel completely welcome. They embraced her for who she was and she did the same to them. Losing them meant she was losing the only people in Derry who ever truly gotten to know her and that seemed scarier than anything.

Her mind was wandering back and fourth as she tossed and turned in her bed. It was late, around one in the morning. She was lying straight on her back, staring at her dark ceiling, her mind replaying all the memories her and her friends had made. They'd only been friends for a month and yet, April felt as if she was losing the most important people in her life.

She sighs, closing her eyes and attempting to relax her mind. Attempting to lead it away from the fear she felt of being alone... She's felt like this all summer, terrified when she wasn't with anyone. Sleeping wasn't her greatest friend right now at all.