[05] SPARKLY PURPLE GEL PEN!

.・。.・゜.・゜・。.

LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE

CHAPTER FIVE

v. the last day of school

--------------------------------------------------------------

THERE WERE VERY FEW THINGS BILL DENBROUGH WOULDN'T TELL HIS FRIENDS, to be exact, one thing. That being, the interest he had taken on April Ambrose early in their eighth grade year. It was in the first few weeks of September, he saw her for the first time since seventh grade and she hadn't changed much.

She still donned those brightly-coloured bracelets on her wrists and ankles, her hair was still a curly mop on her head, she was still always alone to her thoughts, and she still seemed to giggle and beam and grin at every chance she got. The girl interested him, intrigued him - he wanted to know more.

He went about the first month of school with his three friends, far too shy to ever say anything to the girl who was anything but intimidating. Then, October rolled around and his life was flipped upside down - this was the month his brother was killed and, suddenly, the infatuation he had with the girl simply disappeared.

Finding himself now leading the four others who trailed behind him to the bike rack, he just kept going over and over in his head how nervous he was just to be in her presence. He wasn't even sure why, too! It's not like he knew her. How could he have a crush on her if he didn't know her? Clearly, he didn't have a crush - he ruled out as he began to fiddle with his bike lock.

'April is cool,' He rationalizes with himself. 'That's all. She's cool. Her and her bracelets and beaming smiles and carefree attitude,' He goes on, pulling the lock free from the bike rack and pulling the bike out along with it. He turns to his friends, holding onto the handle bars, moving away from the rack to allow them to get theirs.

"W-We're going t-t-to the barrens tomorrow, April. If you want to come," He says, his eyes gazing towards April who stared down at the his bikes wheels.

She looks up at him, having zoned out at the sight of the large bike. She didn't even know how to ride. She didn't even own a bike. Breathing out softly, she nods. "Sure. Uh, what time?" She presses, tucking a feathery piece of hair behind her ear as Richie stumbles back recklessly, nearly bumping into her after pulling at his bike too hard.

"Sorry, Ambie!" He apologizes, using the same nickname from yesterday. She waves him off, a smile on her face as she continues to look at Bill.

"Around n-noon," Bill starts, nodding as he sends Richie a warning look - not noticeable enough for April to see but easy to detect if you were Richie. After all, Bill had been sending these looks his way since the first grade. "B-Bring your bike. We're p-p-probably gonna be around town too," He goes on, shrugging - trying to play it casual. Why was he so nervous? She opens her mouth to respond but is cut off.

Stan nods, looking to April. "I wouldn't recommend wearing one of your dresses. Or, any of your pretty clothes," He gestures to the floral wrap dress which sat comfortably around her body — remembering how they mostly saw her donning dresses and skirts throughout the year. "It's the barrens... Pretty muddy, and gross," He goes on, a look of distaste in his face as he speaks of the destination.

"Oh, yeah. Definitely don't wear a dress. And, wear bug spray, April!" Eddie adds, shuddering at the thought of mosquitos. This stupid blood-sucking creatures made his skin crawl.

Richie groans, rolling his eyes. "But then we won't be able to see her legs," He teases, gesturing down at her exposed calves.

Shifting on her foot, April's eyes wide as they dart between each boy who spoke one after the other. She rubs her left foot against her calf nervously, feeling a bit awkward at the comment Richie had made.

"Look what you did, dipshit. You made Sunshine-Girl uncomfortable. Nice going," Eddie rolls his eyes, slapping Richie's arm as he shakes his head. Stan mimicking the same reaction as Bill grimaces, looking away and running a hand through his hair in embarrassment.

Richie raising his hands his defence. "Okay! You don't have to smack me, Eds. Have mercy," He looks to Eddie with a teasing grin on his face.

Looking back towards April, Bill smiles sympathetically at the girl who stared at Richie and Eddie who continued to bicker, amused now - the sudden feeling of awkwardness washed away.

Catching eyes with him, April returns the smile before biting the inside of her cheek. "I don't have a bike and, I... Uh, well. Don't exactly know how ride one," She speaks up, all eyes turning towards her in shock. She shifts on her foot once again. 'What's so shocking? Not everyone has to know how to ride a bike!' She thinks to herself, a frown forming on her face.

"You don't know how to ride a bike?" Richie bursts, laughing at the thought. "How don't you know?" He continues to laugh, holding onto his belly as if it were the most hilarious thing he'd heard.

She shrugs, still biting her cheek. "I never got one. My parents just didn't think I needed it. I'd usually go with them if I needed to go somewhere. Did I just ruin this? Like, I mean, it's okay if you don't want me to hang out with you anymore cause I can't ride," She rambles on, nervousness lacing her voice as Eddie and Bill begin shaking their heads furiously. 

Stan speaking up before them. "No, it's okay. You can just ride on the back of one of ours," He offers, nodding lightly. "I'd say Bills cause his has the most room on the back," He goes on shrugging, hiding his smirk as he notices Bills cheeks begin to flush red. Of course, Stanley knew. He could read his friends like an open book!

Bill coughs, choking at Stans proposal but not disagreeing, nonetheless. April looking towards him with a hopeful smile. "You sure?" She asks, eyes wide and sweet.

He nods shakily, unable to sputter out any words before Richie rolls his eyes at his friends inability to speak. It was so evident to the three boys that Bill had some sort of thing for her now. He was just so not subtle! "Cats got his tongue. Obviously, it's okay, Ambie!" He says, a goofy grin on his face.

April squeals, clasping her hands together and jumping up excitedly. "Okay!" She giggles, her hair bouncing up and down from the movement.

Bill looks towards April once again, finding yet another smile on his face at the look of pure joy in her face as she squeals and giggles at the thought of tomorrow. "I'll p-p-pick you up from your h-house t-tomorrow, then," He offers, stumbling over his words terrible to the point he felt as if he might as well of died right there.

She didn't react to it, thankfully, unfazed. Far too excited to even care. "Alright. I live on Downey Road. 1694," She recites the address before her eyes light up, her hand snaking to the side of her backpack and pulling out a sparkly purple gel pen and rushing towards him.

Without hesitation, taking his hand in hers and with a small smile beginning to write her address down in neat printing on his skin. Her lip pulled between her teeth as she does so. Bill couldn't help but feel his heart begin to race and he worried that she could it it hammering against his chest, eyes going wide, as he feels his cheeks heat up at the sudden brush of contact. She was holding his hand in hers!

He couldn't shake the feeling as she finished writing, pulling her hand away and slipping the pen into her backpack once more. She didn't even notice the shock worn on his face before she hears the sound of a car honking, looking behind her and seeing her mom in their familiar car. Quickly bidding the boys a giggly goodbye, waving her hand before she takes off to the car door with a skip.