[08] SUCK THE WOUND

.・。.・゜.・゜・。.

LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE

CHAPTER EIGHT

viii. the pharmaceutical adventures

--------------------------------------------------------------

THE BIKE RIDE to the pharmacy was much different than the one earlier. Rather than the sun softly hitting at April's cheeks and the steady rhythm of Bill's pedalling, it was replaced with harsh turns and hurried crossings. She held tightly to Bill's waist, her eyes darting back and fourth as she stares at their surroundings.

"I think it's great we're helping the new kid," Eddie starts as he bikes towards Bill and April, Richie already rolling his eyes. Ben rode on the back of Stan's bike and you could tell Eddie was speaking in a more quiet tone than usual in order to preserve his feelings. "But, we also need to think of our own safety. I mean, he's bleeding all over!" He goes on as he trails after April and Bill, eyes wide and erratic.

Richie exhales, shaking his head. "Blood isn't going to kill you, Eds. You've got to relax!" He rolls his eyes, continuing to bike.

Ignoring Richies comments, Eddie continues. "You guys do know there's an AIDS epidemic happening as we speak, right? My mom's friend in New York got it by touching a dirty pole on a subway, and a drop of AIDS blood got into his system through a hangnail! A hangnail!" He rants, his hands tightening around his handlebars until his knuckles turn white.

"Your mom has friends?" Richie snorts, his magnified eyes squinting in amusement at his comment as he laughs.

April shakes her head. "Eddie, you're the only one speaking. It's not 'as we speak', it's 'as I speak'! Silly boy," She speaks up, bringing her cheek up from against Bill's back and looks to Eddie with a small laugh. "Besides, does it look like we live in New York? Derry couldn't be close to how dirty it is there," She goes on as she leans back into his back.

They pull into the alleyway of the pharmacy, Eddie continuing his rambles and ignoring April's lighthearted comment. "And you amputate legs and arms, but how do you amputate a wai-... How do you amputate a waist?!" He goes on, looking to Stan as they pull to a stop. "You guys do know that alleys are known for dirty needles that have AIDS, right? You guys do know that?" He continues, getting off his bike as Bill sits Ben down on a crate.

"Oh, golly. Eddie! Don't touch anything on the ground if you're so paranoid," April sighs, running a hand through her hair as she looks down at Ben.

Bill exhales, putting a hand on April's forearm and nodding at her breathlessly. "Ah, we're screwed..." He trails before stumbling back lightly. "Richie, Sunshine... Wait here," He nods at them again before letting go of April's arm and rushing away. "Come on," He says to Stan and Eddie who immediately trailed after them.