[03] BORING & BLEAK

.・。.・゜.・゜・。.

LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE

CHAPTER THREE

iii. heading home

--------------------------------------------------------------

SLAMMING THE CAR DOOR SHUT, April couldn't help the large smile that remained in her face as she places her school bag in front of her. Waving her hand out the window at the four boys who watched, waving back with smiles. "Who're those boys, April?" Her mom speaks up, noticing the wide grin on her daughters face as she begins driving away from the school.

April rips her eyes from the window once they're out of sight, looking to her mom, attempting to wipe the smile off her face but is unable to. Bursting into a fit of giggles. "I think I just made friends," She breathes out, her eyes twinkling with stars.

Her mom, Josephine kept her eyes trained on the road but couldn't help the smile that came on her face. "Really? What're their names?" She asks, keeping it casual. She knew that April was just dying to ramble her ear off about their interactions.

Adjusting the skirt of her flouncy wrap dress, April hums. "Well, I've had classes with them this year but we never really talked until today. There's Bill, Bill Denbrough. He's, uh, you know Georgie Denbrough? Yeah, he's his older brother," April begins, stumbling over her words as she explains. "He's real nice - he's got this stutter, I know a lot of kids find it annoying and pick on him for it. But anyways, it's actually pretty cute," She goes on, rapping her fingers against the window softly.

Suppressing a smile, Josephine nods as she listens to her daughter ramble on. Something told her there as more than admiration for his willingness to let April join them, something there. A spark. "Then there's Stanley, we sat together for a while in the beginning of the year. Real nice, he's kind of quiet though," April goes on, her fingers still tapping against the window.

"Is that so?" Her mom tilts her head, curiously. She knew that April would ramble on and on even if no one would respond to her, if just made her feel better to converse at least a little where she could - but, all things considered, April would barely even let anyone get a breath in once she started.

April nods excitedly. "Yup! Real nice, real sweet. Amazing boy, he is," She continues to bob her head up and down. "Then, there's Richie. He's a bit overbearing. Pretty loud in class, always joking. He's funny," She goes on, her hands moving to play with the zipper on her backpack, zipping it open and closed.

Josephine listens intently as her daughter explains. "Ah, Richie Tozier. I remember him from your first grade class," She comments as April continues to rapidly play with the zipper, eyes wide and a joyous smile on her lips. "What about the other one? The smaller one," Josephine asks.

"That's Eddie. Eddie Kaspbrak, to be specific. He takes a lot of medicine, I'm not really sure why but I know he has asthma," April responds, tilting her head back and fourth as her mom turns onto their street, driving down the road towards their cozy home.

Humming in response, Josephine nods as she pulls onto their driveway. Parking the car and pulling the keys from the ignition. "I'm glad you've found friends, April," She chuckles softly, shaking her head at her daughters excitement.

Nodding in agreement, April takes her backpack from the car floor and opens the car door, exiting and slamming it shut. She takes a deep breath of the warm, summer air with delight. "I'm glad too," She mumbles to herself. "I'm glad too,".

And so, trailing behind her mom who began to unlock the front door of their house, April tucked a piece of hair behind her ear as she began to brainstorm which twists and design she would decide on for the friendship bracelets she'd be making that night. Things weren't looking at boring and bleak as they were before.