[18] THE FOURTH OF JULY WEEKEND

.・。.・゜.・゜・。.

LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

xviii. the projector

--------------------------------------------------------------

A DAY HAD PASSED SINCE THE ROCK WAR, it was the Fourth of July and as always, Derry was having its annual summer street fair. The day was bright, sunny. It was something out of a movie that April would find herself indulging in on all those dreary days she found herself alone. Sounds of the marching band and carnival workers calling out to those who passed by to play their games filled the square.

April had her hair in two messed-up braids on either side of her head, her already curly hair frizzy from the summer heat. She wiped her forehead of the small beads of sweat that were forming as she fiddled around the five bracelets she held in her hand.

"Hey, guys. Wait," She speaks up, puckering her lips & blowing air upwards to move her bangs away from her eyes as she trails after her friends. They were on the main road, people crowded around and skipping happily as they enjoy the summers day.

They look towards her curiously, Stan quirking an eyebrow. "What?" Richie asks, watching as the girl began to approach the group before extending her hand and showing off the five intricate bracelets proudly.

She smiles softly, their eyes trialing to her hand. "I made them. Special for you guys. See, I have one. Bev has," She points to her wrist and gestures to Beverly. "And, Billy does too. Now we're officially friends forever and we're a special club. Like, how you said yesterday, Rich. The Losers Club," She rambles, handing out the bracelets and giggling to herself as her friends all offer thank you's and smiles to her.

"Thanks, April," Ben says, beginning to tie the pale green and blue bracelet around his wrist. "They're beautiful. How'd you learn to make them?

April nods excitedly as she side-steps around, finding herself next to Bill with their arms just brushing against one another as she tucks a piece of feathery hair behind her ear and shrugging. "I'd get bored," She states simply with a shy ghost of a smile — not wanting to think back of the days that weren't so far off of hiding away in her room alone, her only friends being her bracelets and her smile.

In a secluded alleyway, stood the Losers. Or, at least, most of them. Richie found himself on the street, tugging at a man's tuba and blowing incoherent notes into it. He hadn't a clue how to play it and didn't have the motivation to actually try. Eddie was by himself getting ice-cream cones. Leaving the rest of them to staring at the most recent missing poster that has been plastered over the brick walls and wooden posts of Derry. It was Ed Corcoran's poster.