[22] MAYBE

.・。.・゜.・゜・。.

LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

xxii. negotiating with the universe 

--------------------------------------------------------------

LULLED TO SLEEP WITH TEARS STILL WET ON HER CHEEKS, April tossed and turned in bed. Mind plagued with the shouts of the gentle boy who had seemingly just been in her room with her. In her bed. Sobbing. He truly, really, did steal her heart at that moment. Taking it and tucking it away in his pocket to keep because all she seems to do now is feeling empty. Empty without him.

She wasn't aware though, that at the same time she cried, at the same time she tossed and turned, Bill sat in his room. Sat at his desk, staring out the window which overlooked the street. His mind turning over and over back and forth from the final time he saw his brother wave innocently up at him on that fateful day he was taken so unexpectedly to the image of April's decaying face in Neibolt.

His throat was tight, heaving in breaths as he looks down at the sketchbook on his desk. It was her. His drawing was of her, her lips curved up in a shy smile, bangs flopping into her eyes. He did this often. He drew when he was sad. His sketchbook was filled with drawings of Georgie, the paper boat he made for him, sunflowers, and rough sketches of April's eyes.

He sighs, biting the inside of his cheek roughly as he taps his finger against the paper. Shaking his head, he closes his eyes for a moment. He hurt her. He made her cry. He said he wouldn't and he did. His mind was running in circles, saying it was for the best, saying it was better for her. It was to protect her, after all.

But, he couldn't get rid of the image of her eyes filling with tears, lip trembling, and spark beginning to fade away. He hurt her. He did. He hurt her so badly. Swallowing dryly, he gets up from his desk. Picking up the bracelet he had picked up from the ground after she ripped it off and running his thumb over it with a shaky hand.

Reaching over, he switched his lamp off before hurriedly rushing to his bed. Running his thumb over the bracelet once more before placing it on his nightstand. He begins to wonder what she's doing right now. If she was still crying or if she had fallen asleep. If she had... Oh, God. Did he make her cry herself to sleep? He feels his stomach drop at the thought, thinking about the tears on her pillow. The choked sobs she'd let out. He made a mistake. He hurt her and he had to fix it.

It was a blur. Waking up, getting up from bed and forcing himself to get ready. He wasn't even sure what he was getting ready for. It's not like he'd be going anywhere. Beverly was wrong. They wouldn't be back together by the end of the day. The argument was far too heated to get fixed in a night's sleep.