Chapter Fourteen

The herd was gone, it had broken in. Due to a building collapsing. The walkers eventually flooded o and we were fine. Ron and his family were killed. Carl's eye was shot out. We all almost died, but here we are. Completely fine. The threat was gone, everything was normal. Except Shane. He wasn't here. Daryl and I were still 'just' friends, who make out occasionally- scratch that, constantly. He basically lived with me I wouldn't sleep with him but, we slept in the same bed. It felt right, but wrong. My heart belongs to Shane. My entire person belongs to Shane. I was asked to spend the day with Judith and Noah, I agreed. I only had one appointment today, and it happened to be with Dianna. She asked me to come by and have a chat. Which I gracefully accepted.

"Dianna! I'm here!" I called as I held both Judith and Noah's hands walking into the house.

"I'm in the lounge!" Dianna called back. Her tone was happy and sweet. I walked in with the kids and they ran right to Dianna.

"Dena!" Noah chirped happily. He said 'dean-a' instead of 'de-anna' it was always quite cute.

"You brought guests. How wonderful." Dianna smiled and I sat down on the chair across from her. "Your job. I want to give you a new one."

"Oh? I'm perfectly happy with the one I have now. Dianna. I appreciate the offer but, it's alright." I smiled and crossed my legs.

"I want you to consider being head of watch duty. I know Spencer like that job, but he just isn't prepared." Dianna smiled at me. I was in shock.

"Why such a drastic change? I'm not composing but, wow." I was grinning ear to ear.

"I watched you handle the walkers. When I first met you, I thought you were beauty and books. I watched you handle those walkers. You were strong and you watched your own back as well as others. In the meeting for the herd I saw leadership material. You are a leader, you are stronger than you look. I apologize for miss judging." Dianna gave me an apologetic smile.

"Do not be sorry. I've put up with worse." I held back a squeal. "Noah, Judith, I get to watch over everyone. With my gun." Judith and Noah gave me happy looks. I smiled at them and looked at Dianna. "Can I still do sessions with-"

"Of course. Now, I've already let the town know. The schedule is in the Armory. Go have a chat with Olivia and Denise." Dianna smiled and I rushed out. I was excited for my new job. I picked up the kids in each arm and walked down the street. They both loved to run, so I'd set them down and they'd race.

"To the blue building!" I called as the kids started to run. I giggled as they did. I looked and saw people rushing to the gates. I watched the kids both stop. "Come here kids. Stay right next to me. Do not leave my side." I rushed the kids to the gate. I saw Dad and Daryl rushing in with a body thrown over Dad's shoulder. "Is that Shane?" My eyes widened and I almost fell to the ground. I looked behind Daryl and saw the familiar face I had missed. Shane. I wasn't sure until he looked at me. He dropped his bag, gun, and he fell to his knees.

"Y/n?" Shane's voice really caught me. I started to cry. He was pale, eyes sunken in. The next think I knew Shane was passed out on the ground. I don't remember much, other than my screaming and running. I remember laying on Shane's lap in a not-fully-built house. I was pissed. They put him as prisoner. He'd been gone more than a month, almost two. Now he's prisoner. I was angry, but my husband is back.

"Shane. I thought-" I couldn't keep talking without crying. "Shane, I have to be honest."

"You and Daryl?" Shane whispered in a hurt tone. He expected it.

"We didn't sleep together, just... just making out." I hurt saying the words to Shane. It broke my heart to see Shane hurt like that.

"Okay." Shane whispered and kissed my head.

"Why were you gone so long?" My voice finally broke. Tears fell.

"I met a group. The 'saviors' I have to go back. They're dangerous, they'd kill me if I didn't. If they found this place they'd take it. They'd take whomever they like, whenever they'd like, whatever they'd like." Shane's voice was hoarse and broken. He sounded regretful. "The longer I'm here the more this place is at risk. You see that guy?" Shane pointed at the other guy dad and Daryl brought in from outside the gates.

"Yeah, who is he?" I sat up and Shane looked at me in the face. He interlocked our fingers and smiled at the simplicity of it.

"That's Jesus. He's in one of the communities we took over. The saviors, we stopped in the road. I heard something, said I'd be back. Told em' if I'm not in ten, I'd meet them back at the Sanctuary. I was walking and I saw Rick. Jesus was on the ground and, I wasn't sure if I was right but, I did call out. When Daryl saw it was me he was pissed but, at the same time he was thankful." Shane was nervous with his tone. He swallowed hard and held my hand tight.

"I didn't think you'd ever come home." I whispered as I smiled at Shane. Jesus, the guy that dad brought home was completely passed out. Shane was looking at me while I looked at Jesus.

"This isn't my home anymore. You and Noah can come live with us. I can't stay here. It puts everyone at risk. I know a position that might be perfect for you, one of Negan's wives. Then you and I aren't committed to each other anymore, but Negan would make sure you are okay." Shane had obviously put some thought into it before. He was nervous but, hell bent on me coming with him.

"Shane. I'm not going to be someone else's wife. Being a wife means fucking. I'd rather not fuck anyone but, you." I raised an eyebrow at Shane and he nodded. I smiled gently.

"Well, maybe you can be apart of the guard. You'd do fine with that." Shane nodded.

"I don't want to leave. I shouldn't leave. Noah could grow up here, Shane. If you have to go back then go. We can meet up somewhere. We can figure it out. I can't leave. Noah, Judith, Carl." I began to tear up again. It broke my heart knowing that Shane would go back. That Shane, would ultimately have to pick them over me. I knew that whatever Shane was doing with the Saviors, it would come and bite us in the ass later.

***
Authors note-

Yes I am writing the fan-fiction about Daryl, first chapter will be posted tomorrow! I'll keep y'all updated!