39| seokjin's apology

reminiscing old times was something min yoongi didn't want to do, but found himself doing. he turned off the tv after seeing the whole wedding, and then he leaned back in his chair, thoughtful. thinking back to when namjoon was fifteen, to now that he was twenty two or twenty—no. do not get attached, no more. he chided himself before sitting back up and wiping his eyes with the back of his hand.

this is going to be a long day.

¥¥¥

"two glasses of champagne please."

   "i don't want to get drunk."

   "it's just a glass, it's not even full!"

   "please remove your hand—"

   "you really want them to doubt something right now?" even though hoseok was supposed to be acting, he knew namjoon had no idea he was not. his arm tightened around namjoon's back, pulling him tighter against him. at the moment, they were all at the after party, the celebration of the royal wedding. the royal nobility have started to approach them—specifically namjoon—and ask about them and their lives.

however, hoseok thought they were very nosey, asking about personal stuff like how they met, about namjoon's family, his education, and about his shoe size... it was odd, and it didn't sit well with hoseok.

   they were in the middle of a conversation as they sipped their champagne. the liquid burned hoseok's throat in a good way, but it went away as soon as it came, urging him to drink more of the alcohol, the sweet taste lingering on his tongue like the remnants of smoke after a fire. "i never knew the king was into men, if i'm being honest. i always thought he was a ladies man, considering all the girls he spent time with as a child." hoseok blinked, paying attention once the conversation topic shifted to him.

   namjoon didn't reply (of course he didn't) so hoseok took initiative and talked instead. "i don't think my wedding party is the time where you would be questioning my sexuality," hoseok drawled, watching namjoon from the corner of his eye, sipping on his champagne slowly.  "and talk about it in such a way to try and drive my husband into some type of feeling he shouldn't be driven to on our wedding day." hoseok chugged the remaining liquid in his glass before putting it down on a nearby table with a large thud. "sure, i hung out with a lot of girls when i was a kid, but didn't everyone? i'm not sure what you are trying to say, unless it is the need to stir trouble."

   the nobleman in front of him scoffed, puffing up his chest. his full stomach almost tore his shirt apart at the buttons, his blue, badged sash formed a circular ring around his full body. his bald head reddened with embarrassment, before he walked away.

   "that went well." namjoon commented after an awkward moment of silence.

   "today is a special day," hoseok briefly left namjoon to pour himself another glass of champagne. "i'd like to enjoy things without having questions piling over my shoulder."

   "well, prepare yourself to answer," namjoon replied coldly, gesturing with his thumb to a few nobles approaching them. "we got company." hoseok sighed as he plastered on a smile worth millions. if you were an outsider you'd think he was having the time of his life. however, the more he spoke to the nobles, the more agitated he got.

   "... quite a catch, you know?" one of the older men nudged namjoon as the two ladies alongside him giggled. "imagine marrying the king of seoul." hoseok watched as namjoon smiled, and the grin didn't reach his eyes. in fact, hoseok thought he looked miserable.