27| new player

tw // use of derogatory terms, choking, threatening

   "what... what was it you wanted to talk to me about?"

a few minutes of silence and staring did not make namjoon comfortable. well, how should he? he was marrying the future king in a week, when he wasn't even meant to. and today... today he was supposed to go to work (and yesterday, too) and how will he be able to dodge the royals and go to tell yoongi about his new situation—he had no idea.

   weisoo never talked since the one time he asked if he was okay, but he kept looking at him in a way namjoon couldn't decipher, -and chaeyoung... chaeyoung wasn't smiling at him like she used to when they were at the hospital. it was weird and unnerving. he felt so much better when hoseok and taehyung were by his side—now he was alone, and had no idea what was coming.

   "namjoon..." chaeyoung started, clasping her hands over her lap. "is this why... you were nervous around hoseok at the hospital? is this why you didn't want to come see me?" oh... namjoon's lips parted as he digested the question as fast as he could. had he hurt chaeyoung by this? surely she wouldn't have missed a random kid and his brother visiting her... she was the queen! but now that he thought back to it... maybe listening to hoseok wasn't really the right thing to do—then again, his life was at stake at that time. he had no choice.

   "i'm sorry i haven't mentioned this earlier," namjoon spoke calmly, fiddling with his fingers and looking down at his lap. "i just wanted to wait until hoseok was comfortable telling you. i'm sorry, again."

   "it's okay! but..." chaeyoung replied calmly. she uncrossed her legs, and leaned forward. namjoon glanced up at her, watching as the crown fit over her bald head. even at that moment, she looked breathtaking—but that was from a young man's point of view. he wondered how daeho saw her. "why did you and hoseok hide it in the first place? why didn't he tell us?"

   namjoon cleared his throat, and replied quickly. "with all due respect, you are not my parents or family, so i had no reason to tell anyone about this," at the odd looks he was receiving from daeho, he continued, after gulping a lump in his throat. "and it was hoseok who made me swear to secrecy—"

   namjoon was briefly interrupted by a monotonous scoff from daeho. he glanced at him, before taking a deep breath, and moving on.

   "and it wasn't... well, we met in a very unlikely circumstance, which i bet is his decision whether to talk about it or not." namjoon concluded, trying to mentally plead chaeyoung for her forgiveness—taehyung had enjoyed her company so much during their visits to the hospital, and if she was to keep herself separate from them, at least let it be on a good note.

   after the silence that followed namjoon's statement, he wished for hoseok's arm to be around him now.

   "i see," daeho said, looking to the side at weisoo, who hadn't taken his eyes off namjoon. "weisoo, my boy. please take your mother outside and escort her back to the hospital, while i talk with namjoon." namjoon's heart involuntarily skipped a beat.

   weisoo nodded once before standing up. he then looked at namjoon one last time. "hoseok is a sweet, fragile man—and the best brother i have, even if he doesn't see me that way..." he then turned away from namjoon to help chaeyoung stand up. "it would be a shame to hurt you badly if you did anything to my brother."

   namjoon blinked, "yes." he replied dumbly, watching as weisoo and chaeyoung linked arms, and walked out of the room, slowly. after thirty long seconds, it was him and daeho all alone in the living area. he recalled how hoseok told him that weisoo and daeho hated him, but after this, he wasn't sure that hoseok actually knew how they felt towards him.

"namjoon, if i were to ask you about your... occupation," daeho leaned forward, clasping his hands together. namjoon clenched his hands into fists, but said nothing. "did you and hoseok meet there?" daeho asked, raising an eyebrow, and namjoon nodded once, stiffly, still silent. "so you do work there?" and with that namjoon was sure that daeho was the one who almost killed him at suga&spice.

when daeho stood up, namjoon jumped, worried about what may happen if daeho regains his violent and angry posture from the day before, to notice daeho walking past him. a hand landed on his shoulder harshly. namjoon jumped a second time, and looked back up towards daeho. he stared down at namjoon with an expression namjoon couldn't decipher.

"so you're a literal people pleaser, eh?" daeho's hand snuck up to wrap around namjoon's neck. namjoon dared not move; he was anxious, and somewhat scared. daeho leaned forward, and before namjoon realized it, daeho's lips were too close. his eyes widened and he pulled away, creating a small space, as the back of his head bumped against the couch

"what—what are you doing? let me—" namjoon let out a loud yelp, before it was silenced by daeho's other hand covering his mouth. nosing against his neck, namjoon could feel daeho smirk against his skin before biting harshly. namjoon barely reacted out of instinct; he was used to it by his customers, but he couldn't help the small gasp at the realization that: hoseok will kill him for real this time, and at this rate, so will chaeyoung. his hands rose up to try and push daeho's away from him.

"tell me, how much did hoseok pay you to pose as his lover?" daeho asked, tightening his hold around namjoon's throat. "he really went to a house full of whores just to choose a random one and have them act the part, yeah? were you the one they said saw hoseok's face?"

namjoon couldn't answer that. he wanted to shake his head, but since daeho pretty much saw right through him, he'd know he was lying. instead, he attempted to struggle again, only for daeho's hand to press harder against his throat.

namjoon found it harder to breathe the longer daeho kept choking him—and covering his mouth and nose, he closed his eyes and hit daeho's arm repeatedly, telling him to fucking release him right now—

it became even tougher when daeho pressed harder. "if you were the one who saw his face, then this isn't really the best place for you to be," daeho then pushed namjoon away, and watched as the younger clutched his aching chest, and panted. namjoon fell to his knees by the coffee table, clutching it hard with his free hand. namjoon was sure his face was deep red by now, from both the lack of air and from the fact that daeho knew of his job, knew of everything... "it'd be a shame if taehyung—or rather, the world, knows, wouldn't you agree?"

namjoon looked back from where he was on the floor at daeho as he walked back to sit in front of him. daeho leaned forward again, his smirk never falling from his face. namjoon's hand trembled around his chest; if this bastard really was planning to tell taehyung about his job...

namjoon was surprised when daeho grabbed his chin and pulled him forward. namjoon's upper body slid over the table until he was close enough to daeho that their noses touched. namjoon couldn't bring himself to fight back. he knew he was powerless in front of daeho, and any attack on him would result in his demise.

namjoon trembled in that dangerous position, bent over the coffee table with his face in the clutches of his future father-in-law, getting scared out of his wits because what if he killed him right here and now and exposed everything—

   "it wouldn't hurt to add a new player in that game you're playing, would it? unless of course..." daeho traced his thumb on namjoon's chin. "you would like the alternative? what should have been done?"

   "i—i—"

   "oh, the player is me," daeho said in a peppy tone, pulling namjoon's chin down so that his mouth opened, and he snuck his thumb between his lips. namjoon tried to pull away, but daeho kept his grip tight, pulling away only a minute later. "you'll regret everything soon enough."

   even as daeho left, namjoon stayed still, mortified at his statement. he clutched the coffee table hard enough that his knuckles were white, and his eyes were as wide as saucers. fear slowly consumed him, and even as being married to hoseok, he didn't feel safe now that daeho did and said this. he felt that no matter what he did, no matter what hoseok did, there was no escape in death. daeho's threat was basically an open invitation for him to beg for it.

   and for a second, it sounded to him like a good option.